What's new

Updating iOS + Jailbreaking (Is it possible)

CodeBr3ker

Reaction score
Hey

So I will be getting a iPad Mini 2 Retina 32 GB WiFi this summer, and I was thinking about jailbreaking it. It comes with iOS 7.2.1 pre installed if I am not mistaking, but I now some apps are not compatible with iOS 7 and before, so my new plan is to install iOS 8.1 on it and then jailbreak it using Pangu, just like I did on my iPhone 5.

Just wanted to check if that´s possible? If I set up the iPad as new and then go to iTunes and install iOS 8.1, instead of updating to 8.3 from the Settings App, because I want to be able to use iFunbox, which is not possible with iOS 8.3.

I really don´t give a **** about the new iOS 9 features that will come to iPad, I just want the jailbreak, lol!

Sorry, but your plan is not going to work. If you get a new iPad, the odds are it will come with iOS 8.x on it. If you are fortunate, it'll be a version of iOS 8 that is jailbreakable.

However, if it comes with iOS 7 on it, you cannot selectively upgrade it to an iOS that can be jailbroken. The only iOS an iPad can be upgraded to is iOS 8.3 - and that's not jailbreakable.

Marilyn

According to the retailer, the device comes with iOS 7 installed. Other retailers specifies it as it as iOS 7.1.2. If that is true I guess I can jailbreak it on iOS 7.1.X with Pangu. Otherwise I will go back to my original plan. Use iFunbox to mod my games, then upgrade to newest iOS version.

thanks for the answer, Marilyn

Sorry, but your plan is not going to work. If you get a new iPad, the odds are it will come with iOS 8.x on it. If you are fortunate, it'll be a version of iOS 8 that is jailbreakable.

However, if it comes with iOS 7 on it, you cannot selectively upgrade it to an iOS that can be jailbroken. The only iOS an iPad can be upgraded to is iOS 8.3 - and that's not jailbreakable.

Marilyn

Welcome to iPhoneForums, CodeBr3ker!

We have a sister forum which mostly discusses iPads:
Apple iPad Forum

The members there are very helpful, so if you have questions or need help, you'll also receive instructions and answers there.

Last edited: