What's new

Updating and Re-Jailbreaking

drjaycee

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently J-Broken and unlocked on my 3GS -5.0.1 ; I-pad BB 6.15.00 and am facing no issues per-se.
Would I be facing issues if I were to update using custom IPSW and re-JB using Absinthe and subsequently unlock with Ultrasn0w ?
In case of any untoward situation would I be able to downgrade ( I have my SHSH Blobs saved with TU ) ?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using
Tapatalk.

If you rely on a u lock stay away from Absinthe.

Now also to note there is no Unlock for the newer basebands.

If you want to unlock use redsn0w to jail brake, MAKE sure to check off PREsERVE your
baseband that you have now, then once jailbroken use ultrasnow to unlock and then also use ultra snow fixer (its in Cydia)

Now before you do all this i would suggest u go and read about redsn0w and ultrasnow to see if they have updated to
use with 5.1.1 ios

XamDam said:
If you rely on a u lock stay away from Absinthe.

Now also to note there is no Unlock for the newer basebands.

If you want to unlock use redsn0w to jail brake, MAKE sure to check off PREsERVE your
baseband that you have now, then once jailbroken use ultrasnow to unlock and then also use ultra snow fixer (its in Cydia)

Now before you do all this i would suggest u go and read about redsn0w and ultrasnow to see if they have updated to
use with 5.1.1 ios

you cant just check off preserve bb during jailbreak. you must make a custom ipsw. and the only thing to jb 5.1.1 untethered is absinthe and sn0wbreeze. and ultrasn0w isnt up to date just yet. i would make a prejailbroken ipsw with sn0wbreeze (these always preserve ur baseband)

If I understand correctly, I'd have to make a custom IPSW 5.1.1(preserving baseband) and restore to the custom ipsw by shift-restore in itunes and then jailbreak using snowbreeze ( preferably ) and after JB unlock with the latest version of Ultrasn0w (when it is updated to unlock devices on 5.1.1 ).
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Do I need my SHSH Blobs to prepare the custom ipsw ? ( I have my 5.0.1 and 5.1 blobs saved both with ifaith and TU but haven't as yet saved the 5.1.1 one)
Will be grateful for any advice.
TIA

Don't know 100%, but I think cannot update to 5.1.1 because the unlock is not supported (even tho you preserve your baseband)

You would need to use Sn0wbreeze to make a custom iPSW. Sn0wbreeze make an iPSW that is "already" jailbroken, so Cydia would already be installed directly after restore. Sn0wbreeze jailbreaks and restores simultaneoulsy.

You would need SHSH to restore to any iOS that is not being signed, meanig you would have to chose "iFaith Mode" within Sn0wbreeze and select your 5.0.1 SHSH.

But since your already on 5.0.1, I would wait til you find out if the unlock fo the iPad baseband works on 5.1.1.

Because your iPhone has the iPad baseband..........You cannot undo that. It is permenent. Therefore you MUST "always" use a custom iPSW forever, andthat phone will never be able to restore to a stock iPSW "ecer gain". Like never.

Don't know 100%, but I think cannot update to 5.1.1 because the unlock is not supported (even tho you preserve your baseband)

You would need to use Sn0wbreeze to make a custom iPSW. Sn0wbreeze make an iPSW that is "already" jailbroken, so Cydia would already be installed directly after restore. Sn0wbreeze jailbreaks and restores simultaneoulsy.

You would need SHSH to restore to any iOS that is not being signed, meanig you would have to chose "iFaith Mode" within Sn0wbreeze and select your 5.0.1 SHSH.

But since your already on 5.0.1, I would wait til you find out if the unlock fo the iPad baseband works on 5.1.1.

Because your iPhone has the iPad baseband..........You cannot undo that. It is permenent. Therefore you MUST "always" use a custom iPSW forever, andthat phone will never be able to restore to a stock iPSW "ecer gain". Like never.

Let me reiterate that when I'd flashed the ipad baseband ,I'd fully realized the consequences , but voluntarily and knowingly chose to do so ,since I had to get the unlock. I did know that I would never be able to change it in future, like never ever.
I also knew fully well that all my future upgrades would have to be to custom ipsws as I had unambiguously stated in my original post.
What I want to know from experienced members are the following:
1. Whether I have to save my SHSH Blobs of 5.1.1( using ifaith or TU ) and create custom ipsws ( with snowbreeze)using these blobs.
2. Whether I HAVE to use Snowbreeze and NOT Absinthe for the JB.
3. Whether I can thereafter use Ultrasn0w and Ultrasn0w Fixer 5.1.1 to Unlock. And
4. Whether if things get awry,if I'd be able to downgrade to 5.0.1 ( to custom 5.0.1 ipsw using my currently saved shsh blobs )
Would welcome suggestions from members.
Thanks

drjaycee said:
Let me reiterate that when I'd flashed the ipad baseband ,I'd fully realized the consequences , but voluntarily and knowingly chose to do so ,since I had to get the unlock. I did know that I would never be able to change it in future, like never ever.
I also knew fully well that all my future upgrades would have to be to custom ipsws as I had unambiguously stated in my original post.
What I want to know from experienced members are the following:
1. Whether I have to save my SHSH Blobs of 5.1.1( using ifaith or TU ) and create custom ipsws ( with snowbreeze)using these blobs.
2. Whether I HAVE to use Snowbreeze and NOT Absinthe for the JB.
3. Whether I can thereafter use Ultrasn0w and Ultrasn0w Fixer 5.1.1 to Unlock. And
4. Whether if things get awry,if I'd be able to downgrade to 5.0.1 ( to custom 5.0.1 ipsw using my currently saved shsh blobs )
Would welcome suggestions from members.
Thanks

Okay..my bad.

1) you do not need to save 5.1.1 SHSH blobs. If you are jailbroken now..and use Cydia then Cydia automatically saves SHSH for whatever iOS is currently being signed. It's alway a good idea to save SHSH with Tiny Umbrella manually...better safe then sorry.

2) I would recommend you do NOT use Absinthe. Use Sn0wbreeze and create a custom iPSW. No need for "iFaith Mode" and SHSH since you'll be restoring to 5.1.1. Choose "Activate iPhone(Hactivation)" option within Sn0wbreeze. I have read that unlockers should stay away from Absinthe.

3) I have read that UltraSn0w fixer has been updated to work with 5.1.1. So that should work fine.

4) yes. You can alway use your 5.0.1 SHSH blobs to restore back to 5.0.1. That is the purpose of saving SHSH blobs...to use them to downgrade.

Thanks a lot mate.

Sent from my iPhone using
Tapatalk.

Hey I'm very sorry i cant relate the stuff written here to my situation although its of the same problem so I'm posting in this thread.

I have a 3gs New bootrom jbed and unlocked(its a AtnT piece) running @ 4.1 and baseband 5.12.01.....now is it possible to update to 5.1.1 without losing unlock and if not 5.1.1 then which is the latest f/w which i can use on my phone retaining the unlock....

Thanks in advance...
sorry if I've posted my problem inside a thread and not create a new thread.

parthtrivedi said:
Hey I'm very sorry i cant relate the stuff written here to my situation although its of the same problem so I'm posting in this thread.

I have a 3gs New bootrom jbed and unlocked(its a AtnT piece) running @ 4.1 and baseband 5.12.01.....now is it possible to update to 5.1.1 without losing unlock and if not 5.1.1 then which is the latest f/w which i can use on my phone retaining the unlock....

Thanks in advance...
sorry if I've posted my problem inside a thread and not create a new thread.

You really should start a new thread instead of hijacking someone else's when they have not resolved there problem.

Update to 5.1.1 via a Sn0wbreeze iPSW. Make sure to select "Activate iPhone(Hactivation)" within Sn0wbreeze.

Use "UltraSn0w Fixer for 5.1.1" to use the unlock on 5.1.1.