What's new

updates

Peter N.

Reaction score
My phone advises me it needs to be updated.
Does this sound workable;
If I click general>software update and one is available, I do so then use the phone and also use I tunes.
If it just says it has not been backed up or two weeks, I just back up the phone itself?
I keep my eye on I Cloud for limits and delete and old one if necessary.

If you are going to update your iPhone you should perform a complete backup first

You don’t have to use both methods to get the update to your device. Either update over the air (Settings - General - Software Update), or connect your device to your computer and update it via iTunes.

If it says it hasn’t been backed up for two weeks, it’s quite likely your (full) iCloud storage that’s preventing it from backing up. Usually, it will do this automatically when it’s connected to Wi-Fi, locked, and charging.
It’s also possible to backup to iTunes (computer). About backups for iOS devices

I’ve mine set to auto backup, and also to install software updates automatically. It will first ask me before installing, and my iCloud backups almost daily being plugged into the wall and on WiFi majority of the time while I am at home. Makes life a bit easier having things setup to do so automatically. And like said, no need to do things twice. Once is all that is needed.

I have set our iPhone X R's to automatic also. However, the only time we are plugged into ac is when we are chagrining. It did not seem to want to update automatically and was asking us to do so.
I will now backup before updating as you suggest but then the update is not backup, is it?
We have only used 228 MB of 5 GB of the i Cloud so space is not an issue - I do not keep old backups..
Is it necessary to plug into ac when doing an update(not backup) if the battery is near full?
So, If I backup either way first then update will this be OK?
Does iTunes bask up more than the phone. Is this true?
Sorry about the confusing post but we are new. .

Update and backup are not the same. iTunes doesn’t exactly backup everything an iCloud backup saves. iCloud backups are encrypted automatically, whereas you’d have to enable it in iTunes. I’ve posted a link above, it shows the differences between a backup to iTunes and a backup to iCloud.

You don’t have to charge your device when you’re updating. It will update over the air without problem, as long as your iPhone’s battery level is above 40%, afaik.