What's new

updated and now i have no service

The answers still the same, i feel for you because that guy scammed you by not telling you how hes unlocked it and warning you how fital it was not to update the baseband. Honestly now you have updated you cannot unlock it yourself ITS CURRENTLY IMPOSSIBLE.

However if its a 3gs or 4 you can downgrade and jaibreak but this will not unlock it. And its hard to findout the carrier once your locked out needing to activate short of ordering simcards on every network.

like i said if your in the uk if you find out what carrier its on you can pay them to officially unlock it.

what phone you have? and are u in the uk?

Last edited:
im not exactly a genius when it comes to iphones so i went along and updated it to the 5.1 software not knowing my jailbroken iphone would become unjailbroke. Before the phone was unlocked which now means it no longer reads my sim card, anyone have any idea of what to do? help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Yup. Above poster is correct. Your only hope is to get an account with the carrier it's locked too.........or just use it as an iPod.

The answers still the same, i feel for you because that guy scammed you by not telling you how hes unlocked it and warning you how fital it was not to update the baseband. Honestly now you have updated you cannot unlock it yourself ITS CURRENTLY IMPOSSIBLE.

However if its a 3gs or 4 you can downgrade and jaibreak but this will not unlock it. And its hard to findout the carrier once your locked out needing to activate short of ordering simcards on every network.

like i said if your in the uk if you find out what carrier its on you can pay them to officially unlock it.

what phone you have? and are u in the uk?
thanks for the response, its a 3gs but im not sure what carrier its on, ill text the guy i bought it off and see if he has any information

thanks for the response, its a 3gs but im not sure what carrier its on, ill text the guy i bought it off and see if he has any information

Yes...you need to get literally ALL THE INFORMATION YOU CAN.

Was it jailbroken,...was it unlocked.

Is the baseband updated.

What carrier is it locked to.

That kind a stuff.

Yeah i think original carrier is the most important.

whatever he tells you he obviously jailbroke and software unlocked it, otherise you would'nt of lost your unlock!
He won't be able to reunlock it for you unless he works for the network its locked to! unforunatly even though he didn't warn you and because he didn't warn you the update you did has made your phone 100% not possible to unlock and if he is honest with you he will tell you the same.

davegurn said:

whatever he tells you he obviously jailbroke and software unlocked it, otherise you would'nt of lost your unlock!
He won't be able to reunlock it for you unless he works for the network its locked to! unforunatly even though he didn't warn you and because he didn't warn you the update you did has made your phone 100% not possible to unlock and if he is honest with you he will tell you the same.

Or the guy is just unaware and that was his first and only unlocked iPhone?

what do you mean 100% not possible to unlock? if i can find out the original carrier and take it to them and get it unlocked, ill be able to use the phone again, is that right?

if your in the uk yeah, i meant as in you cant hack it yourself now that its been updated :)

Are you in the uk?

i know my carrier o2 offers imei/factory unlock for £15, but it was going to take them 1-2 weeks to process and do it. people have said canada and usa don't offer this but if your based there you should try.

Yes he should have told you that updating a jailbroken and unlocked phone is not straightforward...I can understand why, when selling a phone he didn't want to say "oh by the way you can't update it" but in fact a jailbroken and unlocked 3GS is pretty desirable.... as long as you know not to update without a custom firmware. All is not lost... If he can tell you what carrier it was you can get a working SIM, then either downgrade to any firmware Cydia has blobs for, or tethered jailbreak 5.1. Depends how much you paid for it. Maybe you could sell it as a stock 3GS locked to a carrier. Where I live they still are fetching about £150. Or if you bought it from a shop you could go in and ask for a favourable trade in since he didn't tell you what you need to know

I'm on 3 in the uk. £35 a month for unlimited everything and it's genuinely unlimited with no fair use policy. I used 80gb one month tethering! They allow tethering too. so I don't need unlock.
I know this is irrelevant to your problem I'm just boasting:)

I'm from England so yeah once ive found out the carrier i better take it to them and see how much they can unlock it for. im not really bothered about it being jailbroke because i dont know everything i can/cant do when its jailbroke. i just want a working iphone now.. haha

I'm sorry I don't know what possessed me to write that. It sounded more worthwhile in my head!

I'm sorry I don't know what possessed me to write that. It sounded more worthwhile in my head!
its fine, i dont have a clue what half of it means but im glad you got it off your chest! haha thanks for the help too