What's new

updated and now i have no service

adamhsufc

Reaction score
im not exactly a genius when it comes to iphones so i went along and updated it to the 5.1 software not knowing my jailbroken iphone would become unjailbroke. Before the phone was unlocked which now means it no longer reads my sim card, anyone have any idea of what to do? help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

What kind of phone is it? If it's an iPhone4, unfortunately there's nothing you can do since by updating your firmware you also updated the baseband to one which is not currently unlockable.

Just out of interest ( and sorry to the OP I really feel for you ) what would one do if you did this? Presumably you just have to get a SIM of the carrier you are locked to? If its not a 4S you can have a tethered jailbreak but it's losing the unlock thats the problem.

yeah a sim of its original carrier is your only option, unless you update to the ipad baseband which is unlockable but i wouldn't do this because its supposed to really mess with your phone, stop your gps from working and is irreversible! but its your only unlock option.

What model phone do you have? Do you know its original carrier?

Last edited:
yeah a sim of its original carrier is your only option, unless you update to the ipad baseband which is unlockable but i wouldn't do this because its supposed to really mess with your phone, stop your gps from working and is irreversible! but its your only unlock option.
Remember, though, the iPad BB is only applicable on the 3G.... and 3GS' made before week 35 of 2011.

Hes probably freaked out when he realised what he's done. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i would say lol but its so harsh to lose an unlock like that, and it happens to so many people.

I don't use an unlock but i knew about not updating my baseband because i did my due diligence, if everyone just read the forum and a couple of website for a few days these things would happen alot less often.

i'm not havin a go just now the OP is screwed when this could easily of been avoided.

Last edited:
Hey

I just thought if your in the uk the original carrier that the phone is locked to ie O2 should be able to do an imei unlock on your phone aslong as its not stolen or anything like that and you dont even need to send them your phone as its done remotley, i think its a factory unlock as you can update your firmware as much as you want without losing your unlock.

I bought my 3gs second hand and contacted o2 and they said they can imei unlock it for £15 which i think is a bargain as at one stage websites were selling this type of unlock for as much as £100 but they got cut off! (if you have a contract with o2 they will even unlock your brand new phone for free but obviously your still bound to the contract), i imagane other uk carriers will offer the same service so contact whichever carrier the phone is originally locked to and ask them.

So if your in the uk and need it on another network thats probably the best option, i read on another thread that usa carriers won't do it but i might be miss informed.

Last edited:
I must agree with davegurn tho; its difficult to understand how someone could have jail broke and unlocked their phone without realising you can't just update it like that. Everything about JB says its specific to a particular firmware. And all the jailbreak tools make it very clear you will lose your unlock if you update. It's in big capital letters everywhere the subject is discussed.
I can only think the OP bought the phone already jail broke and unlocked, or got someone else to do it for them.

I gave my brother in law detailed instructions on jail breaking and SHSH blobs and root password , iFile, etc. He was like "ah that sounds complicated can you not just do it for me?" I said I would, but you NEED to know this stuff. I think a lot of people just think jailbreaking is just a way to get free AppStore apps. Before I jailbroke I read around it for about a week to be sure I knew what I needed. Even then I didn't know about SHSH blobs till later.

Again, not having a go at the OP. it's just always worth finding out about stuff even if you don't think you need it.

I was thinking by his description that someone else might of jailbrokenn and unlocked it because like you say if you do it yourself these golden rules are everywhere. but even so if thats the case what an a$$hole for not explaining those golden rules.

lol the OP's gonna come back and think what the hells happened to my thread :D

lol the OP's gonna come back and think what the hells happened to my thread :D
i did exactly this.. haha
sorry for the lack of description, i bought my 3GS 3 weeks ago off a guy that only told me it would work with my sim card, after having it a few days i let the phone die out by accident and that caused a few problems, mainly rebooting every 10 seconds but i somehow fixed that. Now my problem is i didnt have a clue if i updated it would completely get rid of the unlock and jailbrake. I'm not sure what network it was originally on and i dont really know what to do next.. :/

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone, now ive updated the description some people may be able to help more, thanks