What's new

Unlocking a 4s

jamescurtis24

Reaction score
So here's a brief overview of my situation.

I have an iPhone 4s, 16 GB. I own the phone outright, it's been on a pay-as-you-go contract for years.

The phone is currently through Rogers (Canada) and I'd like to give the phone to my father and switch to Bell carrier (Canada).

The simple way of putting it, I need to unlock my phone. I'd prefer to do this without having to pay.

I understand the answer is probably somewhere out there on google, but I've tried searching and I can't find anything concrete to go on. There is too much pollution with scam sites so I can never tell when I'm looking at something giving legitimate information or trying to take my money, or fill my computer with viruses.

I have no issues with jailbreaking my phone if need be.

It's an iPhone 4s 16 GB with iOS version 8.1 (12B411)

So in short, can I unlock this phone without having to pay, and if so, how?

Again, I promise you I have attempted to figure this out on my own but cannot find a proper answer. So I would love to get some help with somebody who perhaps has real insight into this.

So here's a brief overview of my situation.

I have an iPhone 4s, 16 GB. I own the phone outright, it's been on a pay-as-you-go contract for years.

The phone is currently through Rogers (Canada) and I'd like to give the phone to my father and switch to Bell carrier (Canada).

The simple way of putting it, I need to unlock my phone. I'd prefer to do this without having to pay.

I understand the answer is probably somewhere out there on google, but I've tried searching and I can't find anything concrete to go on. There is too much pollution with scam sites so I can never tell when I'm looking at something giving legitimate information or trying to take my money, or fill my computer with viruses.

I have no issues with jailbreaking my phone if need be.

It's an iPhone 4s 16 GB with iOS version 8.1 (12B411)

So in short, can I unlock this phone without having to pay, and if so, how?

Again, I promise you I have attempted to figure this out on my own but cannot find a proper answer. So I would love to get some help with somebody who perhaps has real insight into this.
The best recommended course of action is to contact your carrier. It almost certainly won't be free but carriers in Canada are required by law to unlock phones on request. Most legitimate third party unlocking services will also charge a fee. In fact, most of the sites offering free unlocking services are likely to be the scam sites you want to avoid.

BTW, Jailbreaking and unlocking are independent from each other as Jailbreaking your iPhone will not, in itself, enable you to unlock your phone.

So essentially there is no method for me to unlock the phone myself?

And my phone carrier will do it, however they charge $50 which I just find absolutely ridiculous when I own the phone.

So essentially there is no method for me to unlock the phone myself?

And my phone carrier will do it, however they charge $50 which I just find absolutely ridiculous when I own the phone.
I agree that the price charged is higher than warranted but there's no way for you to unlock an iPhone yourself without using a carrier or third party unlocking service. The Canadian cell phone unlocking rules make no mention of what prices can be charged for unlocking services. Many of the third party unlocking services charge less than the carriers. Some of them are legitimate businesses and some are scammers. If you find such a service and aren't sure, ask here before committing to the service.

I'd be leery of an unlocking service offered on eBay. I notice that he states no returns but he accepts PayPal. This means that the seller, in refusing to give refunds, is in violation of PayPal and eBay policy. For the extra $25.00 charged by Rogers, you get a guaranteed unlocking service. If the unlocking service offered by the UK eBay seller doesn't work, you have a drawn out procedure to get a refund through PayPal buyer protection.

If you paid all your bills and the 2 year contract is over, the carrier will BY LAW, if asked, unlock your phone for free, or a very small fine like 10$. Also, the phone must not have been reported as lost or stolen.
You just need to call them.

Sent from my old iPhone using Tapatalk

The laws are different in every country. In Austria, e.g., you still have to pay 50 € to the provider I use to unlock a mobile phone after 2 years.

In Canada, cellular carriers are required to unlock a phone immediately when asked if you paid full price for it or in not more than 90 days if you purchased a subsidized phone. There's no need to wait for the contract to expire. They can charge whatever they want for the service, though.

Hello guys and girls this is my first post to this forum [emoji2]

I only want to say that i used a similar ebay seller

Premium Factory Unlock Service Canada Rogers Fido iPhone 3GS 4 4S 5 5S 5c 6 6 eBay

Cost me 26$canadian iIm from montreal

Really fast service

Dont waste your time with rogers they wanted 50$ from me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Denmark every cellphone is unlocked from the day you buy it! I'm not sure if it's a EU legislation or a specific Danish law!? But it sure is nice and it keeps the carriers constantly competitive about having the lowest price and/or best service! [emoji41] I hope you get the problem solved [emoji2]

In Denmark every cellphone is unlocked from the day you buy it! I'm not sure if it's a EU legislation or a specific Danish law!? But it sure is nice and it keeps the carriers constantly competitive about having the lowest price and/or best service! [emoji41] I hope you get the problem solved [emoji2]

Hi, welcome to iPhoneForums!

It's not EU legislation, or else we'd have this as well. Austria is part of the EU. :)
When I buy an unlocked mobile phone (which I did with my iPhone), I have to pay the full price. A locked phone, purchased from a carrier, is a lot cheaper than an unlocked one.

Lucky you! :)

Thanks for the greeting! [emoji106] And of course you are also members of the EU! [emoji6] Actually I'm a little unsure whether it's even a national law? I seem to remember that the different carriers was fed up with complaining customers and spending time unlocking phones and so on! To begin with the phones were locked to the carrier for 6 months and then they had to unlock it, free of charge! [emoji122] if they didn't do it by themselves maybe the consumer "ombudsman" (a danish invention!) had something to do with it? [emoji47] I'll look into it if your interested in knowing for sure? [emoji3]

Just to give you my experienced opinion: tell him that you want to give this old phone to a friend that was on another provider, and you want to buy a new for you. I used this with Vodafone and works!
Good luck;)