What's new

Unlock Iphone 4S Sprint

guppy

Reaction score
My son bought an iphone 4S off craigslist, notthinking to ask if it were locked. It is locked with sprint and he wants to go with AT&T. Any advise?

My son bought an iphone 4S off craigslist, notthinking to ask if it were locked. It is locked with sprint and he wants to go with AT&T. Any advise?
Sprint iPhones are CDMA and AT&T iPhones are GSM. The two systems are not compatible, even if the phone was unlocked. I'm afraid that your son will need another iPhone if he wants to use it with AT&T.

Sprint iPhones are CDMA and AT&T iPhones are GSM. The two systems are not compatible, even if the phone was unlocked. I'm afraid that your son will need another iPhone if he wants to use it with AT&T.

It is a 4S, I think those phones are world phones, both GSM and CDMA compatible.

It is a 4S, I think those phones are world phones, both GSM and CDMA compatible.
while the CDMA and GSM are combined in one model, if the phone is locked to Sprint, it will not work with any other carrier, including AT&T. If you can' together the phone unlocked, you will need an unlocked or AT&T phone.

Last edited:
while the CDMA and GSM are combined in one model, if the phone is locked to Sprint, it will not work with any other carrier, including AT&T. If you can' together the phone unlocked, you will need an unlocked or AT&T phone.

Yup, how do I get this phone unlocked?

Yup, how do I get this phone unlocked?
I've found some more info about your situation that makes it unlikely that you will ever be able to use the phone on the AT&T network. While the hardware is identical between the GSM and CDMA versions of the iPhone 4S, the modem firmware us different between the two versions and can't be changed.

Check out this link. https://discussions.apple.com/message/18751215#18751215