What's new

Two apple ID's on one computer?

Mellow

Reaction score
Can you have two separate Apple ID's and totally separate contents on one computer?? We tried setting up a new Apple ID (I already have one) and when we did all of my stuff showed up in my husbands new account. I was expecting there to be nothing in the new account.
Please help

Create another account user on the computer. Go to the control panel>user account/ on your computer and create another user account. Log in your new user account and install iTunes there, you will have everything separate on the same computer. That what I do.

Thanks. Do you know if that's the only way of is there another way?

There are other way to do it for sure. I just don't use other ways to avoid all the mess that I can make by mistakes. And maybe other ways are not bad, I just never try them.

Yes you can. What you need to do is set each person up with their own log in on the pc. That way when you run iTunes on each log in it only loads that persons settings from the phone. If you do not have log ins for each person you load everyones iTunes settings. To set each log in up go to start and then control panel and look for create accounts.

Just keep in mind that if you have two Apple ID's, and one of you buys Angry Birds and the other likes it and want it too, you will have to purchase it again. Your apps are tied to the Apple ID account, therefore, two accounts, two purchases.

If you share an account, you can share apps. Give each iDevice a different name, left hand column, under "Devices" right click on the iDevice name and give each iDevice a unique name.
- On the Summary tab, check "Sync only checked songs and videos".
- On the Apps tab uncheck "Automatically sync new apps"

. Now go through and check on the apps, photos, etc. you want on your iDevice and then sync. Remember, a "checked" item will be synced to the iDevice, and "unchecked" item will be deleted from the iDevice.

Now, when the other persons iDevice is attached, they can do the same thing, independent of your iDevice, but, you will be able to share apps, without purchasing them again. My iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, all share most things, but have some things only on one or two devices all on one account/Apple ID.

True all you do is authorize purchase between accounts it really is not an issue sharing music apps movies or tv shows each device can load what they want using different devices. I synced an ipad2 , , iPhones 3 (mine) iPhone 3 (partner), iPod touch, and apple tv today from one account with 3 apple Id accounts with out issues the music on each unit is controlled by playlists The apple tv(1) syncs everything ie music, Picts, movies, tv. Shows Each ipad, iPhone and iPod is backed up. It just works without issues even address book and cal. Us fine different apps are on each device so no extra cost with exception of a few HD apps that donot run on iPhones or iPods

We do not double up on purchases using the same user on the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that if you have two Apple ID's, and one of you buys Angry Birds and the other likes it and want it too, you will have to purchase it again. Your apps are tied to the Apple ID account, therefore, two accounts, two purchases.

If you share an account, you can share apps. Give each iDevice a different name, left hand column, under "Devices" right click on the iDevice name and give each iDevice a unique name.
- On the Summary tab, check "Sync only checked songs and videos".
- On the Apps tab uncheck "Automatically sync new apps"

. Now go through and check on the apps, photos, etc. you want on your iDevice and then sync. Remember, a "checked" item will be synced to the iDevice, and "unchecked" item will be deleted from the iDevice.

Now, when the other persons iDevice is attached, they can do the same thing, independent of your iDevice, but, you will be able to share apps, without purchasing them again. My iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch, all share most things, but have some things only on one or two devices all on one account/Apple ID.

Does this advice also work for phone numbers??

I have bought a new phone and given my partner my old one. When sharing the one appleID can we have 2 lists of phone numbers in icloud? or is it best to store all contacts on the SIM rather than the icloud?

In modern iPhones the contacts are not stored on the SIM card, which holds little more than the SIM serial number, which is tied to your phone number and plan details by your carrier.

Last edited: