What's new

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak IOS5 using redsn0w for beginners

I m using my friends Iphone 3gs, 1. how can i identify whether this phone is Factory unlocked or software unlocked?2. If i have factory unlocked phone and i did update to latest firmware , my phone will be locked ?please answer ..Thank you..
1. Is the iDevice currently using a Jailbreak? If so, check Cydia and see if there's a Unlocking Package installed. 2. If the 3GS is truly "Factory Unlocked" then updates will have no effect on it being Unlocked. On the other hand... a Hardware or Software Unlock relies on a specific Baseband for that Unlock to work.

4.3.4 can be directly updated to 5.0.1 via iTunes. Just make sure your iTunes is up to date and you perform a backup of your device before updating.

also I have to add that if you rely on unlock then do not update in itunes

Thanks for fast answers,
is it possible to unlock 5.0.1 (latest updated baseband for Iphone 3GS)??

no.. you would have to already be on a baseband that is unlockable and use a tool such as pwnage tool to preserve the baseband and upgrade with a custom .ipsw so ultrasn0w would then work

Can i update 5.0.1 firmware without preserving baseband on Factory unlocked devices.

currenty i am having 4.3.3

Unleashed said:
Just upgrade via iTunes to 5.0.1 and it automatically upgrades the baseband

how to know whether it's factory unlocked or not? i'm going to jailbreak myfather's iphone4 but still confused to preserve the baseband or not.

One way to check would be to insert two different micro sims from two different carriers and if they both work then you are good to go.Unless it has ultrasnow installed

Unleashed said:
One way to check would be to insert two different micro sims from two different carriers and if they both work then you are good to go.Unless it has ultrasnow installed

yes, it's ok for any sims. how to know wether it has ultrasn0w installed or not? (sorry, i'm really newbie in iphone stuffs)

I have a n iphone 4 and after red snow is downloaded it does a little but then stays stuck at the waiting to reboot screen then my device just restarts as it normally would I have attempted this about 5 times an nothing

sbfool92 said:
I have a n iphone 4 and after red snow is downloaded it does a little but then stays stuck at the waiting to reboot screen then my device just restarts as it normally would I have attempted this about 5 times an nothing

Do you have the latest redsn0w or are you pointing your ipsw file?

i have a iphone 4 8g and iv tried the redsnow 0.9.10b1 b2 and b3 and have had no luck can someone tell me exacally what i need to do iv never messed with jailbreaking and i think im doing it right thanks

I have a iphone 4 with IoS 5.0.1 installed (9A405). I have been trying to JB with redsnow but not having any luck. Tried redsnow 0.9.10b1 yesterday and b3 today - everytime I get the message Exploit Failed after Lumiarie (or something like that) has completed it process. The next process begins and gets only 1 bar along the status/completed bar then fails with the Exploit Failed message.

I run the prog as Admin, and also on XP, Vist (with and without service packs). I have a new laptop and im using a USB 3.0 connection - will this cause the issue I am having.

I have tried pointing to the IPSW version by locating it in the Itunes updates folder but this didnt work either - although I shouldnt have to do this, is this correct?

Any hints - apparently this process is easy?! Im getting frustrated and close to giving up.

Bazzab1975 said:
I have a iphone 4 with IoS 5.0.1 installed (9A405). I have been trying to JB with redsnow but not having any luck. Tried redsnow 0.9.10b1 yesterday and b3 today - everytime I get the message Exploit Failed after Lumiarie (or something like that) has completed it process. The next process begins and gets only 1 bar along the status/completed bar then fails with the Exploit Failed message.

I run the prog as Admin, and also on XP, Vist (with and without service packs). I have a new laptop and im using a USB 3.0 connection - will this cause the issue I am having.

I have tried pointing to the IPSW version by locating it in the Itunes updates folder but this didnt work either - although I shouldnt have to do this, is this correct?

Any hints - apparently this process is easy?! Im getting frustrated and close to giving up.

Try disabling your antivirus.