What's new

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak IOS5 using redsn0w for beginners

zuluwhiskeyfox said:
I have point redsnow to the ipsw file each time. Did you try that?

Yeah. Tried without it and got nowhere faster! Lol.

zuluwhiskeyfox said:
I have point redsnow to the ipsw file each time. Did you try that?

I did :( without it just got to the nowhere point faster :(
Given up for today and restored the firmware.

Unleashed said:
with ios 5.0.1 you have to point rdsn0w to the 5.0 ipsw, are you doing that?

I am, I swapped computers (from high performance to half specs) thought I had success. But it only booted the once. I tried to install sbs settings. And it just died.. Guess I'll have to wait it out..

I am, I swapped computers (from high performance to half specs) thought I had success. But it only booted the once. I tried to install sbs settings. And it just died.. Guess I'll have to wait it out..

if you are on windows 7 then try using xp (service pack 2) mode and also try run as admin

Unleashed said:
if you are on windows 7 then try using xp (service pack 2) mode and also try run as admin

I'll try that tomorrow evening ( 1am here in Aus) thank you! I'll keep it posted how that goes :) fingers crossed.

Sounds like you are using Windows and Internet Explorer. It is notoriously useless when it comes to these things. It is renaming the IPSW file to a ZIP file for no good reason at all. Either, rename it yourself back to having a file extension of IPSW, OR use a proper browser to download it, such as Chrome, which will not interfere with the file at all. Whatever you do, DO NOT unzip the file.

Thank you very much for this post. I was going nuts trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Once I got Google Chrome the jailbreak went off without a hitch. Thanks!!!

Hi guys, after a little help.
Followed this guide and all went well, at the end of the initial jailbreak it ended up hanging on the black screen with apple logo.
Insstructions said dont worry just reboot as per step 8 which i did and all seemed to run well ending up with a small pwnapple logo for a few seconds but then went back to black screen with apple logo. From here i'm stuck.
I have tried everything i can find but only difference i can make is i can get it into recovery mode where itunes wants to restore. but even this fails. Any help greatly appreciated.
i'm running a ip4 and upped from jb 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 this morn. pc is on win xp. TIA.

What version of redsn0w do you have? It's been recently updated to work with iOS 5.0.1 (in that you don't have to point it at iOS 5.0 prior to doing the "Just Reboot" step).

So, please check to make sure you have redsn0w version 0.9.9b9d (get it from the Dev-Team Blog link f4780y posted in the first post to this thread). Hopefully, that's your solution, because I've no other reason why it doesn't work for you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Unfortunately i am on the current version of redsn0w and still having no luck.
What i didn't mention in my first post is that i am getting error 21 with itunes when i get it into recovery mode and try to restore. Don't know if that may give any clues.
Thanks Marilyn for the help. Merry Xmas.

Update for anyone else in this situation.
Changed my host file back to apple and got rid of the error 21 and was able to restore back to stock 5.0.1. Still not sure why the JB failed?

I have updated (and simplified) the tutorial to reflect that IOS 5.0.1 is now untethered for A4 devices.

The tutorial should be updated to say you need to click on "extras" first and point to the 5.0 ipsw first.

The tutorial should be updated to say you need to click on "extras" first and point to the 5.0 ipsw first.

no it does not though, just run redsn0w and you dont need to point it at any firmware to un tether jailbreak 5.0.1