What's new

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak IOS5 using redsn0w for beginners

All is good in the world again. Turns out the USB port on my Mac had stopped working. A reboot fixed that. Also found that I had to point redsnow to the ipsw file. It wouldn't detect and point by itself. And it took me a long time to find the Semitethered package on Cydia. It seems to be working fine as well. That's how I spent my Sat.

Cheers

Glad you got it fixed in the end. Hope you enjoyed your Saturday!!! :)

Ok, been reading this with interest. I am currently on 4.2.1 with greenpoison. But I am considering upgrading to 5.01 and putting up with a tethered jailbreak. I was pissed off to have missed the chance to go to 5.0, and now I'm thinking it's foolish to wait for the ideal moment which might never come, because Apple are always gonna be close behind any new method.
So I understand that I need to first restore to a plain 5.01. But I keep reading I will need to point redsnow to 5.0. At which point during the jailbreak does this happen? Is it just a plain 5.0 ipsw or do I need to do something to it? Can someone clarify this part because I'm not quite clear on it. Thanks

Ok, been reading this with interest. I am currently on 4.2.1 with greenpoison. But I am considering upgrading to 5.01 and putting up with a tethered jailbreak. I was pissed off to have missed the chance to go to 5.0, and now I'm thinking it's foolish to wait for the ideal moment which might never come, because Apple are always gonna be close behind any new method.
So I understand that I need to first restore to a plain 5.01. But I keep reading I will need to point redsnow to 5.0. At which point during the jailbreak does this happen? Is it just a plain 5.0 ipsw or do I need to do something to it? Can someone clarify this part because I'm not quite clear on it. Thanks
Your update will work through iTunes as normal and put you to 5.0.1. When you're running the redsn0w program it will prompt you for your firmware... at which time your point it to 5.0.

thomasjtsi said:
Your update will work through iTunes as normal and put you to 5.0.1. When you're running the redsn0w program it will prompt you for your firmware... at which time your point it to 5.0.

When I did my jailbreak redsnow didn't prompt me to do any pointing. Instead it froze up and gave me some sort of error message. So I went into extras and selected "select ipsw" , selected the ipsw file I previously downloaded, then went back to the jailbreak button. It worked fine after that little detour.

Ya, Redsn0w wont prompt you to select your firmware anymore, it just auto-detects your version unless you manually specify like you did.

Jmills87 said:
Ya, Redsn0w wont prompt you to select your firmware anymore, it just auto-detects your version unless you manually specify like you did.

It wouldn't auto detect either. The only way it works for me is I have to manually select.

Ok so I need to have a downloaded 5.0 ipsw on my computer to point it to?

Thank you. That was the bit I was unsure about. I'm still unsure whether to go for it or not. I like my phone as it is and I have loads of tweaks installed that maybe won't all work on 5.01. Plus there isnt much that tempts me about the new OS. It's just that already some app updates for 5.0 have stopped the app working for me (display out, luckily an earlier version was still on cydia) and as time goes on more and more stuff wont be compatible with my out moded OS. So I'll have to update at some point...its just a question of when

Thank you. That was the bit I was unsure about. I'm still unsure whether to go for it or not. I like my phone as it is and I have loads of tweaks installed that maybe won't all work on 5.01. Plus there isnt much that tempts me about the new OS. It's just that already some app updates for 5.0 have stopped the app working for me (display out, luckily an earlier version was still on cydia) and as time goes on more and more stuff wont be compatible with my out moded OS. So I'll have to update at some point...its just a question of when
I'm the same... still rolling on 4.3.1. I was going to update to 5.0 but I was literally just a few hours late behind the signing window. I'm just gonna stay where I am until they iron more kinks out of the process.

Yeah; just been reading the redsnow site, it sounds like it will now autodetect 5.01. Think I'm going to wait too;I also missed the signing window, I forgot to check the site for a few days and it had just closed that morning when I checked. I just missed 4.3.3 in the same way! Thats why I'm on 4.2.1. Anyway, there seem to be too many issues just yet. I use iBooks a lot, I know the problem can be fixed and there are plenty of alternative ePub apps but I don't like the sound of some of the niggles people are experiencing. I'll leave it a while

Last edited:
i don't understand the "point it to the ipsw file" instruction. I tried yesterday, and could not figure that part out. could you please give a dummy specific instructions as to how that is done?

do these files need to be unzipped also?
and lastly.... i too got stuck like the other person, where it just sat..after i tried stuff a few more time it gave me a error message about not finding the file, and told me to pick on in extras....THAT was when i gave up. (for now anyway)

i really have no idea what "point it to the file means"

Point it to the file means....
Click on extra
Click on select ipsw
Navigate to and click on ipsw file
At this point you should see a message indicating that this file will be used for the duration of this session.
Continue with jailbreak.

I think that is where my problem lies...It doesn't show up as ispw. and when i click on it it just keeps ging to the next piece of it, and nothing will "open" it just goes from file to file to file.

I'm not sure i guess what the down load is supposed to ook like once it is downloaded. and it comes over zipped
so am i supposed to unzip with something, place it in a specific folder.

it down loads to my documents, and then i click on extract....is that correct?