What's new

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

Hello... Me again.

Thanks for the help with the first iPhone4..

I have since got another one from a friend. It all works fine, it is on o2 as expected, it works with my sim card in etc.

Problem is it is on iOS 4.0.1 (or something similarly low) and I cannot get it to update it iTunes. It is giving me all the same errors as before with the previous phone, 'The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build' and alike. I have tried forced iTunes restore but still nothing. I have even tried as suggested above by 'willerz2' in Redsn0w and it won't respond.

It starts restore, loads blops, uploaded kernel etc.. Just when it has loaded all that it says 'Waiting for device' and the iPhone has the apple logo and nothing else.. It eventually times out and Redsn0w gives a message saying 'Unexpected error (2831)'

The phone turns on etc just it is stuck on the old firmware.

I talked to my friend and checked the IMEI number and all is legit, it is still under-contract with o2 till September 2013 and isn't blocked.

Like I said.. It just won't let me update firmware. :O p.s. I'm using the GSM 6.1.3 JPSW file.

It is basiclaly the same problem this person has..?

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
OK! not to worry.. I think I worked it out..

I have had something like this before but didn't think of it till now.

For future reference and maybe something to be added to the guide?

I went into the phone.

Setting >> General >>Reset >> Erase All Content and Settings

It then wiped the phone and reset to the 'connect to iTunes screen'

I then plugged the phone into iTunes and set it up as a new Phone (I had my 02 Sim Card in it)

I then let it do its thing while I chilled in the other room and not to get stressed out if it took ages.

When I came back in it had done it all. Updated to the latest OS 6.1.3 :)

Bonus! Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm sure my wife will be pleased with her new iPhone4.

A quick note, I use an iMac and I sometimes wonder if when an iPhone has been used mostly with a PC they get a bit funny when plugged into a Mac. hence the issues? Maybe the full wipe from the phone clears out and funny PC files and allows the phone to be restored fully on a Mac? Just a thought.

Chris

i wanted to upgrade my iphone 5 jailbreak vers 6.1.2 to the current 7.0.4 version (yes losing my jailbreak) , but instead of clicking restore, i directly clicked the update button on i tunes and now i got error 6 on my itunes and my phone stuck on apple logo

How to fix this .. ? Do i follow the same tutorial as explained by f4780y in the beginning of this thread ? (As the error is error 6 not 3194 as stated by f4780y)

I have downloaded the ipsw iphone 5 for 7.0.4

there are two iphone 5 model to choose when downloading ipsw : 5 (GSM) and 5 (Global) .. and i downloaded the ipsw for 5 (GSM) .. Is it correct ?

Whether it's correct or not depends on your which model of the 5 you have. You can check this by looking at the rear of the device and check whether it's A1428, A1429, A1442. Try a USB port that's a non-USB hub/expansion, or a port in the rear if you're using the front.

thank you willerz .. finally got my 5s restored to 7.0.4 thru ipsw firmware download and with two DFU's attempt. dont know why got error 3004 even with using manual download firmware. but sll is well now

I am trying to update my phone (4s) from ios 5.1 (jailbroken) to ios 7 since my spring board keeps crashing and I'm sick of it. Anyway, I've tried resetting it to factory settings via settings->general->reset but it didn't seem to work since the phone sat there with the gear spinning for about an hour, soft reset and tried to do it via iTunes, but I got an error saying it was unable to restore it.
I found this thread in hopes it could help me, but after doing all the steps, I still get an error; error 3194. I'm stuck at what to do, I may just suck it up and leave my phone as is.

I am trying to update my phone (4s) from ios 5.1 (jailbroken) to ios 7 since my spring board keeps crashing and I'm sick of it. Anyway, I've tried resetting it to factory settings via settings->general->reset but it didn't seem to work since the phone sat there with the gear spinning for about an hour, soft reset and tried to do it via iTunes, but I got an error saying it was unable to restore it.
I found this thread in hopes it could help me, but after doing all the steps, I still get an error; error 3194. I'm stuck at what to do, I may just suck it up and leave my phone as is.

That's because you're not supposed to do that.

1) Make sure the IPSW you're selecting is the iPhone4,1_7.0.4_11BB554a_Restore.IPSW

2) Make sure you're in DFU mode, not Recovery Mode.

3) Follow the steps in the initial post to remove the Apple hosts from your host file, and delete the host.umbrella created by TinyUmbrella in the same directory as your host file if applicable. Make sure iTunes is closed and the process ended when doing this. Flush your DNS after the host changes, or reboot your computer.

I have iPhone4,1_7.0_11A465_Restore.IPSW can't seem to find 4,1_7.0.4 from the firmware thread.

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by deleting the host.umbrella file that's in the same directory as my host file and to flushing my DNS after host changes.

Am I using TU wrong? I have TU on my desktop, as the "Set host to Cydia on Exit" is unticked and gray.

I feel like I'm doing step 2 wrong... :\

Last edited:
Thank you! Downloaded that one and it worked, amazing, thanks again!! :)

I'll eventually get to updating the firmware list. "Eventually"

Sent from my iPad Mini via Tapa

How about reverting back to older versions like 5 or 6?

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB