What's new

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply. How do I know what is the right IPSW? Do I just try them all?

Thanks
Chris

Check to see if your device is a GSM or CDMA iPhone 4. GSM ones have SIM slots on the side, CDMA ones do not.

first of all,sorry for my bad english.
I wanna tell you about my problem and asking for solutions.

I use iphone 4s with iOS 5.1.1 and I've got it jailbroken. This morning I update my system to the latest iOS (6.1.3 if I'm not wrong) manually from my iphone using wifi. This process was working well until the download finish and preparing update. Suddenly, my iphone was restarting and then it show the screen "connect to itunes".
I've done some way to repair this problem but I still fail :(
Could you all help me and give me solution of my problem?

thanks before

You OTA updating a jailbroken device is the problem. The solution is to DFU restore in iTunes.

Hi guys.. I have now tried all three different types of IPSW. GSM game me the error I had before (The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.) and CDMA & GSM RevisionA gave me this error in iTunes 'The iPhone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible'

I really don't know what else to try now. Is there a way to update/restore the firmware? or is this phone well and truly fookt?

According to 'willerz2' I most likely have a GSM iPhone4 (or RevisionA) because the sim-card is on the side.

I don't mean to be dumb but could it be an iPhone4s? I bought it off eBay as an iPhone 4 but it could be wrong?:iphone4vert:. is the back of a 4s any different?

Thanks
Chris

Hi guys.. I have now tried all three different types of IPSW. GSM game me the error I had before (The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.) and CDMA & GSM RevisionA gave me this error in iTunes 'The iPhone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible'

I really don't know what else to try now. Is there a way to update/restore the firmware? or is this phone well and truly fookt?

According to 'willerz2' I most likely have a GSM iPhone4 (or RevisionA) because the sim-card is on the side.

I don't mean to be dumb but could it be an iPhone4s? I bought it off eBay as an iPhone 4 but it could be wrong?:iphone4vert:. is the back of a 4s any different?

Thanks
Chris

If you have a SIM card and your device was not factory unlocked direct from Apple, then it's a GSM iPhone, not a Rev-A. You can tell the difference between a 4 and a 4S by looking at the bands on the side of the phone. Right next to the headphone jack, if there's a black band, then it's an iPhone 4. If it does not exist, and you have a SIM card slot, then it's a 4S. Alternatively, if you've used Siri on your device before, then it's a 4S.

Thanks for the reply, I identified that it was not an iPhone4s. I did try the 4s IPSW just in case.. Got the same error as before. 'The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build'.

So basically I have tried all three versions of the IPSW (and iPhone4s version) and the only one that gave a different error was Rev-A

Is there a way to try and update the firmware before restoring or is this iPhone4 truly done?

Really could do with some help here.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Use RedSn0w's Restore feature instead of iTunes. Run RedSn0w as an administrator, go to Extras > Even More > Restore. Select IPSW and point it to the IPSW that matches your device. For blobs, select Remote if asked. Put the device into DFU mode and follow the instructions on the screen.

Hello again.. SO when doing this I would use the GSM IPSW file for iPhone4?

I actually already tried this but it took ages and kinda froze the phone.. How long should it take to do?

I will try it again tonight.

Thanks

Use RedSn0w's Restore feature instead of iTunes. Run RedSn0w as an administrator, go to Extras > Even More > Restore. Select IPSW and point it to the IPSW that matches your device. For blobs, select Remote if asked. Put the device into DFU mode and follow the instructions on the screen.

My friend.. You are an absolute champ! The phone restored! Hooray.. It is Sim locked (I cannot work out what too) but it is at least working now!

Thank you so much for the help everyone.. I just need to work out what network it is locked too.

Thanks
Chris

You can hacktivate it by jailbreaking with RedSn0w if you don't have a SIM to activate it

Hello again,

I found out it is locked to TESCO o2 (UK) Sadly not the same as normal o2 :( So my wife cannot use her o2 Sim in it.

Is there a way to unlock it without Jailbreaking it?

I plan to contact TESCO today and see if they will unlock it for me.

Thanks
Chris

Unless you get the device unlocked or find a SIM from that original carrier, no.

Hello again, thanks for all the help guys.. Turns out the iPhone was Blocked :(

So Although i managed to un-brick it (With your help) I cannot use it. I managed to sell it for the same amount i bought it for though so all good.

Thanks
Chris