What's new

Turning Siri off?

spinfreak

Reaction score
I know it's possible to turn Siri off at the lock screen when using a pass code, but is it possible to turn it off at the lock screen without having a pass code enabled? I carry my phone in my pocket, and Siri has been activated numerous times now. I don't want to turn Siri off altogether, but I also don't want to have to start using a pass code.

Thanks

I actually spent five minutes trying to figure this situation out. And no, I could not find a way to overcome that issue.

It is most likely that your home button is being pressed and held by some other object in your pocket. To prevent this:

1. Never place other objects in the same pocket as your iPhone.
2. Always place the screen of your iPhone towards your body when in a pocket to prevent things outside your pocket from pressing the home button.
3. Use a case which includes a cover for the front of your iPhone.

Any or all of these will reduce or eliminate the problem and protect your screen from damage.

It is also possible, in certain situations, Siri may activate without the home button being pressed. This can only happen if your iPhone is awake (top button has been accidentally tapped while iPhone was asleep in pocket). To prevent this, turn off the "raise to speak" setting in SETTINGS, GENERAL, SIIRI (last setting option).

ArmySteeler...thanks for the info, but I'm actually aware of those situations already. I was just hoping there was a way to turn Siri off completely when the phone is on the lock screen. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. If there isn't a way to do this now (which there doesn't seem to be), hopefully apple will add this option in a future update.

i understand your issue but it would be useless if you were able to turn it off and not to mention a pain every time you go to use it and have to turn it on. Maybe you should invest in a case and carry it on your hip. Just a thought.

There is an option to turn it off altogether, but I'm not looking to do that. I just want it off when the phone is off (on the lock screen). I only want Siri to be able to be used when the phone is on (awake). To me, that should have been an obvious option for them to include.

What's funny/weird, is that if the phone is on/awake, and you set it down with the screen facing down, Siri also activates then

Last edited:
if Siri is activating when you set the phone down on the screen i bet you have the feature enabled for Siri to activate when you put it up to your ear, it probably doesnt recognize its on a table and not your ear.

If it is activating face down on a table it sounds like you may have an over sensitive / malfunctioning proximity sensor to me... Mine has never triggered by accident without being raised to my ear...