What's new

Trying to update from 6.1.2 to 7.1.2 and keep getting 3194 error

bwyand

Reaction score
Hello,

I hate updating my phone and its now to the point I cant use important apps unless I have 7.0+.

I downloaded the firmware from apple, put the phone in DFU mode, shift + clicked restore and found the driver.

I keep getting error 3194. I also get the same error when I do not put the phone in DFU mode. Im on the most recent version of itunes for the lower graphics cards.

Any help would be appreciated, but my worse case is sell it, buy a 32gb and install 8. I need my space and I have no room on my phone for 8

The only software you'll be able to install on your iPhone right now, is iOS 8.1.3. That's why you get this error. You're trying to install the wrong software. 8.1.3 cannot be jailbroken at the moment, so if your device was jailbroken, you'll lose your jailbreak.

I dont have a jail broken phone. Its just the stock iOS. I thought I could update manually via DFU mode.

I download the 7.1.2 firmware and was trying to update it through that.

That's not possible. The only software you'll be able to install is 8.1.3.

The reason that trying to update to anything but the latest iOS version won't work is that the last part of the update process is an online verification with Apple servers to confirm that the downloaded firmware is still being signed for the device you're trying to update.

BTW, if you do the update through iTunes you will not have to free up all that extra storage space needed for the OTA update.

Ok this makes sense. My girlfriend said when she installed 8.0 it took up 8gbs of space?

So if I just do automatic update to 8.1.2 and shouldn't take anymore room up then there already is taken up?

When you update using iTunes, you don't need extra storage space on your iPhone. iTunes will wipe your device completely and install the new iOS version (8.1.3, btw) on your iPhone.

The most part of the amount needed for the OTA update (the 8 GB your girlfriend's device needed sounds a lot, though - usually 3 - 6 GB) will be freed up after the update, btw. About 500 MB will still be used for caching.

Before updating, make sure that you have a most recent backup to restore from, if necessary.