What's new

Trouble with photo stream?

I never use anything for calendars. I use the Reminders app which is synced with iCloud email.

I have heard of too many problems from using google cal with contacts and what not.

Now I just use iCloud.

Settings> iCloud> toggle contacts and whatever else on. Nothing else needs to be done, but to enable iCloud when your first setup your device.

Tho I only use 3 iDevices, my mothers iPad, my iPhone, and iPod 4G.

But Everything between all 3 devices stays completely in-sync with each other with no problems at all.

Like i said....nothing to configure...just make sure iCloud is enabled, and toggle on what you want backed up. Done. Could not be more simple then that.lol.

IMO, anyone that uses google cal and contacts to sync with their iPhone with no problems at all must be a person that is extremely computer literate.lol. I too would never recommend those services to a new user.
Just to clarify between Zig's and my opinion on Google.
*"Unlike" Zig - I DO find Google Calendar VERY RELIABLE. Easily as reliable as iCloud.
*But "like" Zig - I DON'T find Google Contacts to work at all in the iOS environment for syncing or otherwise. There are many known bugs with that.

pianoman said:
Just to clarify between Zig's and my opinion on Google.
*"Unlike" Zig - I DO find Google Calendar VERY RELIABLE. Easily as reliable as iCloud.
*But "like" Zig - I DON'T find Google Contacts to work at all in the iOS environment for syncing or otherwise. There are many known bugs with that.

Oh i see. I have never used google calendar before...have only heard many people say to not use google services with my iDevices.

I was under the impression that google cal and contacts were one service with 2 services,,,,as I have only been advised to stay away google syncing services. Idk.lol. Not one or the other.

Guess I am lucky then. I don't push enough of the issues you guys have listed. And since the only people I set up are family (because non-family people aren't willing to pay my my going hourly rate), I generally don't have any issues I can't solve ;)

Skull One said:
Guess I am lucky then. I don't push enough of the issues you guys have listed. And since the only people I set up are family (because non-family people aren't willing to pay my my going hourly rate), I generally don't have any issues I can't solve ;)

Eeh....you probably just really know what your doing.lol.

interesting. Google contacts actually doesn't sync with iOS directly at all unless you set it up as an Exchange account (which is a nightmare all in its own right). Unless you jump through a bunch of hoops. Or unless they did a major upgrade recently. What's your secret, Skull?

Last edited:
pianoman said:
interesting. Google contacts actually doesn't sync with iOS directly at all unless you set it up as an Exchange account (which is a nightmare all in its own right). Unless you jump through a bunch of hoops. Or unless they did a major upgrade recently. What's your secret, Skull?

Set it up as an exchange account using google's instructions. http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

I can set it up in under 30 seconds now. Has yet to fail me on 6 personal devices, 2 business devices and some family devices. Seriously I don't have a single issue.

I sync my contacts all the time w/ my Gmail account contacts and have absolutely no issues at all. Or is this something completely different from what you guys are refering to as Google contacts?

Thomasjtsi said:
I sync my contacts all the time w/ my Gmail account contacts and have absolutely no issues at all. Or is this something completely different from what you guys are refering to as Google contacts?

Different the the email account you add. Talking s put syncing them with iTunes.

Google must have fixed many of the problems. Google Contacts and iOS have been a widely known problem for a long time on many forums. Google admitted it. In fact that's the whole reason that you don't get a contacts option when you simply add the account AS a GMAIL account in iOS "Mail Contacts and Calendars" option in the System Prefs.

I guess they must have cleaned up the implementation with iOS in the "add as Exchange" acct routine. I had trouble with that too about a year ago. I'm glad to hear Google has cleaned up that act. It was very frustrating for many of us who preferred using Google because of PC and Mac mixed computers in our lives. iCal had its own set of issues for a long time.

There's still the problem I mentioned before that Google Calendar accounts in iOS don't allow multiple alarms per event nor Invitations. That alone drives me to iCal and AppleID syncing for at least one calendar I use.

Here's Google's own words about its limitations with Calendars in iOS:
Calendar: Issues with Accepting/Declining events:

• iOS device can't Accept/Maybe/Decline events from invitation emails received via POP3 polling.
  • Accepting an event invitation from Google Calendar doesn't dismiss the existing event invitation on the device.
  • Secondary calendar events with invites are read-only on iOS devices. The device can't Accept/Maybe/Decline events on secondary calendars.
  • Accept/Maybe/Decline page has a field to Add Comments, but changes in this field will not be synced with Google Calendar.
The one I highlight in Red is a deal killer for me. I use 5 separate calendars for my different businesses and my wife's and only the principle can use invitations (and it's pretty poor for other reasons listed there too). Only for the simplest of needs (not business) does Google sync work okay with iOS. For any "real world" applications it's weaker.

And Apple Contacts Sync via AppleID has never failed me. There's nothing at all superior about Google Contacts.

Last edited:
I have 99% battery, but only some of the photos in my Photostream show up on my Win 7 pc and my iPad. This has been going on since icloud and photostream were introduced. Any advice?