What's new

Trouble with photo stream?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am having trouble with photo stream across all my devices,no matter which device i take the photos from they dont always stream,everything is enabled yet its hit and miss,is anyone else having the same problem?

Remember, Photo Stream won't get updated until the iOS device is on WiFi.

Just did a test from the office using my iPhone while watching my home machine thru VNC. Pictures showed up in less than 2 minutes on the home machine.

Decided to see if Photo Stream deletion from within iPhoto on my iMac at home would propagate a delete. It now does so. Hadn't tested it since the last patch.

Just did a test from the office using my iPhone while watching my home machine thru VNC. Pictures showed up in less than 2 minutes on the home machine.
All my devices are on wifi,just dont understand it,one day they will stream and the next they dont.

That is really odd. I never have an issue. My only complaint was propagating deletes across all devices and now that seems to be fixed.

A couple of nights ago i took some photos on my ipad2 and when i next looked in my mbp there they were,now tonight i took photos with ipad again and with the same settings and they havent appeared on my mbp,its been like that a while too.

I googled it earlier and someone said that if any of your devices have below 20% battery power then photo stream wont work,can anyone clarify that?

I'll be able to test that when I use up 46% more of my iPhone battery. So probably later tonight.

I'll be able to test that when I use up 46% more of my iPhone battery. So probably later tonight.
Ok skull thanks,my ipad is below 20% so im charging it at the moment to see what happens,we can compare notes.

So much for that theory,my ipad is well charged and out of all the photos i took it streamed one and that took quite a while,im totally puzzled.

I CAN verify 100% that an iPad below 20% battery will NOT receive data from or transmit data TO Photo Stream. Had me VERY frustrated the other day when trying to take pictures with my iPhone and wanting to show them to my near blind father on my new iPad 3. Then I read like you did that under 20% battery and Photo Stream does not "propagate" to use Skull's term... :)

Though I have NOT been able to make a delete work as Skull said is working for him. If you turn off PhotoStream and then back on in your iPhone or iPad - the deleted items from iPhoto will REAPPEAR. Doesn't seem like they created a fool proof delete option for us. :-(

Even if I'm doing something wrong -- still - what people asked for from Apple was a deletion from ANY iDevice would erase it from Photo Stream completely. Having to wait 'til you get home to your computer to erase it (that is even if you own iPhoto which not everyone does) is a waste of time and very "not Apple ethos" at all.

But I'll be thrilled to even get the erasure from iPhoto propagating to iDevices to work.. ;-/

All in all im pretty dissapointed with photo stream,in my opinon Apple put this out far too too soon,it isnt good enough.

All in all im pretty dissapointed with photo stream,in my opinon Apple put this out far too too soon,it isnt good enough.
If it were designed as a true "mirror syncing" functionality it would be amazing. But Apple built a watered down function here - so unlike them. We force them to give us new and better stuff every year. Photo Stream DOES work perfectly according to its design. It's just a poor design at this point. Your situation is unique, PoisonIvy. Though a full restore is a pain - I'm 99.9% sure Photo Stream would work according to design after you restored. Something's unstable in your system at this point in time.

If it were designed as a true "mirror syncing" functionality it would be amazing. But Apple built a watered down function here - so unlike them. We force them to give us new and better stuff every year. Photo Stream DOES work perfectly according to its design. It's just a poor design at this point. Your situation is unique, PoisonIvy. Though a full restore is a pain - I'm 99.9% sure Photo Stream would work according to design after you restored. Something's unstable in your system at this point in time.
an update here,last night among other things i tried a hard reset on my iPad and it didn't help,i tried it again today and my photos appeared in photo stream,i have taken a couple more and they appeared right away so keeping my fingers crossed that it will keep working,thanks for the help guys.

It is possible it was simply a server issue. IE they were overloaded because only a few were working or the routers were acting up.

It is possible it was simply a server issue. IE they were overloaded because only a few were working or the routers were acting up.
i don't,its not the first time i had that problem,I'm going to make sure i have over 20% battery power as i think that it a factor,when i googled i saw many people who are having problems with photo stream so hopefully my posting it will help others too.