What's new

Traveling to UK/Europe

kmoody246

Reaction score
Do I need to turn off anything to not get charged for random texts from the US? Or can I set it up to use text or phone for free? WiFi? My girl does not have an iPhone. What about texting iPhone to friends iPhone that are both in UK? Anything would help, even if I don't have a phone for a week! Ha

I'd strongly suggest leaving your iPhone on Airplane mode the entire time you're abroad. Once you turn on Airplane mode you can go into settings and turn Wifi on manually. iMessages from iPhone to iPhone will still work over Wifi. However... standard SMS or MMS will not.

I would get a free micro sim from the uk so you can use a uk carrier and pay much less and even use a 3G connection or wifi in some hot spot areas

Hi,
What's the point of having an iPhone on Airplane mode???
In Settings-General-Network you should have a Data Roaming option. Make sure it is turned off. You will be able to give/receive calls and send txt msgs but you won't be able to get your mails or browse the net. If you need to do so find a Wifi network, otherwise it will turn out very expensive!