What's new

Touch ID not working. Can it be fixed?

chlarock

Reaction score
The touch id doesn't work but home button does. If I replace the home button I know the touch id will not work but will it brick the phone when I do an update? The reason I want to change the home button is that the button gets hot and I think that may be why my battery drains fast. I tried ALL the battery conservation tricks but nothing works.

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

A hot Home button is definitely a hardware problem.
When you replace the Home button yourself, or get it repaired by a third party repair center, Touch ID won't work afterwards, as you've already mentioned. This won't brick the phone, though. That was a problem with an update a year ago, and has been addressed with the following iOS update.

In case you intend to replace it yourself, here are the instructions:
iPhone 6 Home Button Replacement - iFixit

If your device is still under warranty, take it to the next Apple Retail Store, to get the Home button replaced.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have done some work on these before just concerned about the bricking issue I keep reading about. I'm just trying to resolve the battery issue. I thought changing the button might help. If it's getting hot I'm assuming its drawing more power than it should. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. I have done some work on these before just concerned about the bricking issue I keep reading about. I'm just trying to resolve the battery issue. I thought changing the button might help. If it's getting hot I'm assuming its drawing more power than it should. Thanks again.
That's why it would be best to get a full diagnostic at an Apple store Genius Bar, whether or not the iPhone is still under warranty. That way you'd know exactly why your home button is getting too hot and wouldn't end up changing parts that aren't the cause of the problem. All Genius Bar appointments are free, even if the iPhone is out of warranty.

That's why it would be best to get a full diagnostic at an Apple store Genius Bar, whether or not the iPhone is still under warranty. That way you'd know exactly why your home button is getting too hot and wouldn't end up changing parts that aren't the cause of the problem. All Genius Bar appointments are free, even if the iPhone is out of warranty.
Thanks...I did that and all they could say was the battery was good but the Touch ID was bad. All else checked out fine.

Did Apple give you a quote for a new home button? Probably isn't that expensive.

Thanks...I did that and all they could say was the battery was good but the Touch ID was bad. All else checked out fine.
Of course, the only way to replace the home button assembly and retain the Touch ID function is to have Apple or an authorized repair centre perform the repair. The authorized repair centre may charge a lower fee than an Apple store.

Thanks for all the input but actually what I need to know is will a different home button brick the phone when I do an update. I don't care about the touch ID working. Does anyone know for sure what the answer is???

Thanks for all the input but actually what I need to know is will a different home button brick the phone when I do an update. I don't care about the touch ID working. Does anyone know for sure what the answer is???
Not any more. It will function as a regular home button without the Touch ID function.

But if you have Apple do the repair, the 3 D function will be there is you ever want it.

But if you have Apple do the repair, the 3 D function will be there is you ever want it.
I think the repair would be $129. I could get a new button for $3 on Ebay. It's a very easy repair. Thanks