What's new

Toss in a remark or bit of advice on this.

qwerty78

Reaction score
OK. I'm a 5s fella. Basic use. Old bloke who uses the phone as an ipod + calls + organizer. No gaming. Low use of camera. I rather my PC for internet.

I may have a decision to make soon. Repair the iphone 5s & replace battery or put the money towards an upgrade. (upgrade preferred option)

Just in case - I've been googling & have a short list of two phones.

apple iphone SE
or
Sony Xperia X Compact.

Both are $200-u.s.d in Sydney for a new phone.

I'm mesmerized by the Xperia X compact. So what say you guys?

The SE is a great little phone and will work great for what you want it for.

I don't know anything about the Sony, so I can't compare the two.

New development. Just tucked the money for a new SE back under my pillow. Encouraging news (rumors) Apple really is planning on a new SE. So that's $200 saving on a new SE mk2 if I hold out thru 2019.

Well I just have one thing to say. This is a iPhone forum so I am guessing most people here would say go for the iPhone. I really don’t know much about the smart phone market having just entered the world with my very own iPhone 6 on December 25, 2018.

...and I'm still rocking a 5S, in fact I'm on it right now. Still a great phone, although I am still on iOS 10.3.3.

No shame in that at all [emoji106]

My 2 cents is that if you're going to upgrade, might as well take a big leap instead of trying to baby step your upgrade. Go big.

"...go big..." - I'd love to.
But....... I'm a senior whose need is simply an ipod - with smartfone features as a bonus. Games, camera etc are merely 'other features' that are not important as per 'best camera' etc. My pastime is listening to audiobooks & lectures and so on via bluetooth earpiece.
And hand in hand with "ipod" goes weight & pocket size. Hence my googling has nutted out a shortlist of iphone SE or Sony Xperia X Compact. Both are similar in price. Iphone 6&7&8 are too big & too heavy & hence uncomfortable.
Are there any other fones that can contend for best ipod (pocket size) + smartfone?
If the SE 2 rumors were true my dilemma would be solved.

Some times going big is not the option or possible. My iPhone 6 is the perfect size for me and by the way it’s not that big.

Here's a shot to show you the relative sizes.

4S 5S 8 6S Plus X

IMG_1549591486.253762.jpg

Oddly enough, all but the X were in their Otter Boxes before the picture

IMG_1549591541.189018.jpg

So I guess it is bigger than most but I’ve seen ones that are way bigger.

The regular sized (non Plus) 8 is in the middle. The smaller one next to it is the 5S (same size as the SE). The big one next to the middle one is the Plus size iPhone, it is much larger. You can see there is only a small difference in size between the 5S (and SE) and the 8