What's new

Time machine backup

dave307

Reaction score
Good evening to all.
Been using the time machine for backing up my MacBook Air using an old external hdd that I had left over from when I was using windows 10. This drive is quite old so been looking for a new one on line Amazon.
I notice that there are thunderbolt cables to connect the external hdd to th MacBook is that correct?.
If so are they more responsive than the old usb cables. So before I jump into the purchase of a new ex hdd any advice Please.
Old fashioned usb cable or thunderbolt cable
Thanks once again
David.

I would use the USB cable that came with your MacBook Air. Caroline

May I ask why. Is there any reason to your reply. As this MacBook system is all new to me,Not long ago came from windows 10 it was getting very sluggish
Many Thanks once again

The reason I suggested the USB cable was because you already have a newish cable and there’s no need to get a thunderbolt cable. It is what I would use, even if I did have a Thunderbolt port (which I don’t because I have a MacBook). Caroline

Okay many thanks once again. I will be using the usb cable.Its nice to have a second opinion.
David.:)

If the new drive supports Thunderbolt it is a faster standard for data transfer than older USB versions. If you know someone with a Thunderbolt cable you can borrow try it and see if the speed difference is enough to warrant the purchase of a cable.

Good evening to all.
Been using the time machine for backing up my MacBook Air using an old external hdd that I had left over from when I was using windows 10. This drive is quite old so been looking for a new one on line Amazon.
I notice that there are thunderbolt cables to connect the external hdd to th MacBook is that correct?.
If so are they more responsive than the old usb cables. So before I jump into the purchase of a new ex hdd any advice Please.
Old fashioned usb cable or thunderbolt cable
Thanks once again
David.
Does your existing external hard drive have a Thunderbolt connector? The majority don't. Your hard drive needs it to take advantage of the faster Thunderbolt speed.

Many thanks to all. Been reading your posting and decided to go for the usb cable.
Thanks. David.Much appreciated