What's new

Tim Cook Addresses iPhone Smart Battery Case “Ugly” Hump Issue

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 6s smart battery case.JPG

When a company such as Apple is known for such high design standards for its products, should a product ever be seen to deviate from the aesthetic perfection its customers expect, however useful said product, they’re not shy in venting their displeasure.

A case in point, if you’ll pardon the pun, is Apple’s newly released iPhone Smart Battery Case, which some have considered to be such an eyesore, hump and all, that it even prompted BGR to ask “When did Apple products get so…ugly?” and Wired to bemoan that the case is “so ugly it’s almost sarcastic.”

Well now we have the definitive answer as to just why the case was designed with the offending hump, with Lance Ulanoff at Mashable bringing up the delicate matter of its less-than-beguiling appearance when he spoke to Apple CEO Tim Cook.

“You know, I probably wouldn’t call it ‘the hump,’” said Cook, who added that he had heard about the negative comments about the case.

“As you probably know from being a user of this now, one of the real insights here is, have you ever used other cases and tried to get them on? If you make this solid all the way across, in order to get it on, you’d find it very difficult to get it on and off. So the guys had this great insight to put the bend in along with making it a smart case.”

So there we have it. The hump/bend is here to stay, like it or lump it!

Source: Tim Cook is over iPhone Smart Battery Case ‘Hump’

All the negativity seems kind of odd here. It doesn't look as good as the normal cases, obviously.

However ... Anyone who has ever used most other battery cases would know how uncomfortable they are as well as how bad they really look in comparison to this new Apple case.

This case is by far the most comfortable battery case I've used, it's better looking compared to my subway sized mophie, and it's very grippy to hold on to :).

This is my subjective opinion at least, ymmv :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I scoffed at it when I first saw the news break. When I went to the Apple Store to return something, I decided to check out the case out of curiosity. I was convinced enough after holding it to pick one up. This thing is awesome. The hump actually sits on your palm just right and makes the already grippy silicone material even better. It looks jarring at first, but once you get your hands on it for a while you see how smartly designed it actually is.

Ultimately I barely even need this case, as I feel the 6s battery life is already pretty fantastic, and gets me through a 15 hour day with ease. With the Smart Battery case on, it takes me 10-12 hours of my day before the case battery is fully depleted.

I've tried other battery cases and hated them all, mostly on feel, weight, grip, etc. Not even talking about the battery, I love the case itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk