What's new

Thoughts regarding Do Not Disturb mode

DaveM

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out why Apple doesn't allow the option of allowing apps to be configured to bypass Do Not Disturb mode. For example, one of my biggest complaints is that I have a weather app that can be set up to give warnings when severe weather is in the area, and I have tornado warnings set. But since I use Do Not Disturb mode at night, if a tornado warning comes at 2:00 a.m. I get no audible warning. I'd be glad to be awakened at 2:00 a.m. for a tornado warning! I'm sure there would be other similar situations in which it would be useful/desireable to bypass DND.

I like DND mode, but what harm would there be in allowing apps to have a toggle which would allow them to bypass DND? It would be at the choice of the user, not at the choice of the app.

Comments?

When I have DND on I get the Government Alerts and guess that is enough for me. The biggest problem I could see, if the app comes thru DND, is that they come every couple of minutes until the alert is over. So there you are, in your safe place and you aren't ever getting any sleep. Not sure how you make anyone happy here.

Interesting point. The app that I use (WeatherAlerts) doesn't alert that often. I suppose the app could also have an option for how often to repeat an active alert (or to not repeat).