What's new

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure?

Just use Absinthe 2.0.4, nothing will change in your phone

I took the advice and I tried using absinth...got to the "sending initial jailbreak data this may also take a while". After a few minutes I got a message that Absinth stopped working and the program had to be closed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

So it looks like my contacts were erased...I was able to get em back through iCloud...

So it looks like my contacts were erased...I was able to get em back through iCloud...

It's certainly not normal that you lost your contacts with just applying the jailbreak, but I'm very glad to hear you got them back through iCloud! :D

Thanks...I restored from backup because I was having other issues, namely with my music app (would play the wrong song, or would just refuse to play others). I still want to try to jailbreak but I am wondering what I did wrong. Perhaps I extracted the wrong file, or did something out of order.

Im thinking of jail breaking my iPhone 4, ive had it two years and i was a little disappointed in the 5. Anyway I thinking of jail breaking it so I can customise it. I not really interested in the free apps that you are meant to pay for as I understand you only get them via file sharing. So my question is if my phone is jail broken can people hack into and use information on it such as passwords and bank details that i have saved on apps etc. thanks

Ok sorry, I was not clear enough. I mean nothing will change in respect to security of the phone.

Well, I enjoyed the moment to be able to download literally any app I wanted. Not too sure if all weird issues popping up with my previous 3GS was due to jailbreaking though.

I have an iPhone 4s, and up until last year, had been a android user. Found unlocking it simple. Now liking all I am reading and seeing (like this sticky) about jail broken iPhones and was thinking about dropping the $20 for iphoneunlocker.
But finding nothing but old (2008-2010) posts about it, as far as great, scam, etc., so figured this would be a great place to get some honest information.
I know it's not necessary, that snowbird (or whatever it's called) gives you all the tools/info needed to use it, but after experience with Android, I don't mind dropping $20 to have a simple and fast way to do it.

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice/warnings, and glad I found this site. Nothing like a great community for help and learning!

Lastly, my iPad 1 since iOS update to 5 has made it almost unbearable to use (constant Safari, Facebook, and others crashing), even with closing all background apps. Would it be a waste of time jailbreaking it? I'm thinking it's due to new apps and OS simply requiring more oomph than this old machine has, hardware wise.
Thanks so much!

If it's a GSM-based iPhone 4S, you can unlock it using an IMEI unlock for about 5-10$ on average, depending on where you are. $20 would be a cap. Don't fall for the "guaranteed instant unlock" services that cost $50. The processes are the same. You can wait an hour or two to get the same thing done for 1/5 or 1/10 of the price.

As for the iPad, Safari, Facebook crashing would most likely lead you back to your iPad's software or hardware problems. Some sites/apps have high demands on the device, so it might be that your ram or processor can't handle it, or it's not made for your device, etc etc. There are many probable causes for this though.

If it's a GSM-based iPhone 4S, you can unlock it using an IMEI unlock for about 5-10$ on average, depending on where you are. $20 would be a cap.
Im a Computer guy, never done much with cellphones until previously mentioned Android, and that was only due to Sony Ericsson refusing to further upgrade the Xperia x10 OS beyond what I bought it with- 3.1
I'm confused on the "GSM" thing. I know my old phones were CDMI, then GSM, and then it seemed like 3G, 4g, etc.. I only get 3 and 4g where I live. Do you have any knowledge about iphoneunlocker? Lots of great reviews, but not since ios5.... $20, guaranteed, and lifetime updates. Supposed to take 20 minutes. I suppose I can pay via Paypal, and I'm covered for refund, but is the difference between locked and unlocked all that great? I hate always having to go through iTunes or app store, and would love to be able to control personalization, deleting Apple apps they refuse to let you delete, etc., and supposedly it improves Siri significantly and allows use of the best GPS programs.
Thanks for your reply, and hope for many more opinions...

You're talking about 2 things that doesn't exactly have anything to do with one another. Let's separate them.

The difference between locked and unlocked. Locked means you can only use the carrier that the phone was provided for. Unlocked means you can use the iPhone with any carrier you want assuming you have the wireless settings and SIM to do so. GSM and CDMA phones themselves support different frequencies. The only real difference is that the CDMA phones support 2 additional frequencies that the GSM phones do not.

Now for customizing, that's jailbreaking, which is what this sticky is all about. You can customize the appearance an all. As for deleting stock Apple apps, some apps are recommended to stay a they might be important to the integrity of the iOS. But, you can hide them if you like when jailbroken.

Or, if you're an advanced user, you can pay the $99 annual fee and developer crack your iPhone to mod it however you like like me.