What's new

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure?

Gregoris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you bought your first iphone or have had apple devices for a while and have been hearing about "jailbreaking" what is jailbreaking? before buying the iphone if i heard the word jailbreak i would thought of Prison break ;)

Now what jailbreaking does is it changes your iphones drive from "read-only" to "write" this enables the user to install what ever they want from the Jailbreak version of the app store called "cydia"

You may be thinking is it worth it? will it void my warranty? what is there to even install that is not already in the app store?

Firstly Yes it does void your warranty, but a simple restore will remove any traces of the jailbreak so if you do need to take it back to apple they will have no idea that it has been jailbroken.

Also Some people believe that Jailbreaking and unlocking are the same thing, This is not the case, Unlocking that you need to jailbreak in order to download the app called Ultrasn0w that is used to unlock your device, now unlocking will enable you to put any micro sim world wide and it will still work.. if your phone is locked to AT&T or another carrier and you want to use it with another carrier in another country or even want to swap from voda to orange for what ever reason.

Once you find those few apps in Cydia that you love its hard to go back to a non jailbroken state. and jailbreaking really opens the Iphone up to endless possibilities. For example the iphone of 2007 had very little and you had to jailbreak in order to get simple features that today come as standard ones for ios 4.XX+ such as having a background picture or having multi tasking. features like copy/paste and sending mms where added in 2.0 but jailbreakers still where able to enjoy this before apple added it..

Even today with jailbreak with all the iphone 5's features there is still a few things missing and i am able to really customise my phone the way i like it..

NOTE=== if you have the Iphone 4S please make sure the tweaks are compatible with the device BEFORE attempting to install anything. And also the 5 when a public jailbreak is released.

=======

At the swipe of a finger i am able to bring a menu and easily turn on/off functions such as 3g or airplane mode to save battery life using sbsettings a must have app for cydia

IMG_0125.png

I am also able to really customise and change all the string or error messages and carrier name or slide to unlock to anything i like using MyStrings from Cydia, now not all cydia apps are free and this is one of the pay for apps, but well worth it if you want to customise the messages and change everything to your liking

IMG_0124.png

Are you missing that bluetooth send/receive? well don't worry jailbreak brings you yet another feature that apple will most likely never add

IMG_0187.png

IMG_0196.png

you can even change the way the icons scroll from page to page

IMG_0191.png

or have a video wallpaper

13763242.jpg

and yes the battery does not last very long at all using one ;)

405fb2a6.jpg

62840c46.jpg

0465923e.jpg

b3889c38.jpg

there are some pictures of how you can really customise your springboard and change the icons to your liking using winterboard and some pretty good themes and there are tones available for download.

with Infini Docks/board where you can add as many files in folders and to the dock that you wish. You also have the ability to Browse files using OpenSSH.

you can also have animated boot logos or have an add on for safari to download files, The possibilities are endless and is worth doing even if its only for one app

Now there are a few down sides imo to jailbreaking.

Some times you download an app and the app never gets ported to newer firmware, it can also take ages for jailbreaks to be released and there are scam sites selling these free tools that most of the time do not work with the firmware promised and people fall for it and end up with 10000 problems for not re searching properly about jb.

These are Just a few sites you can trust 100% for free and trustworthy information about Jailbreaking and news.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ < official dev team website
http://ih8sn0w.com/ < the creator of sn0wbreeze. This is a windows based Jailbreak
http://greenpois0n.com/ < This is the chronic dev team that currently only have a jb for 4.2.1

Now when it comes to Jailbreaking every firmware ends up using a different tool to jailbreak, we have seen in the past many different names and this website has detailed tutorials with all the necessary files you will need in order to successfully jailbreak

Do you use IRC? well the devs have a channel where they all hang out that you can find here, /server irc.conceited.net /join #ios

Are you a fan of twitter? here are some useful names to follow,

@greenpois0n,@iH8sn0w,@saurik,@comex,@MuscleNerd,@pod2G,@planetbeing

Another down side is that some jailbreak apps greatly reduce battery life and you end up not using it any way.

Did you not find the answer to your question? please feel free to post a comment and ask! :)

Last edited:
Great jailbreaking comments and apps brief review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

would like to hear your thoughts also

i know i have not mentioned a lot of apps but there are too many to list lol or maybe you feel like i have left out a con?

would like to hear your thoughts also

i know i have not mentioned a lot of apps but there are too many to list lol or maybe you feel like i have left out a con?

Yeah sure there are too many to list. Ok I will be adding those few that i have here soon.

Unleashed,

Nice explanation. I was in the same boat at first when I got my iPhone. Had too many questions and thoughts. So I joined this forum. Since I used to be a bb user and started breaking that phone and learning to load different carriers firmware. I should be able to follow directions and jailbreak my iPhone.

I went ahead and did it. Wow! Is all I have to say. My phone is customized to my liking and everything I need or want is there. So many possibilities that each jailbroken iPhone is unique in their own way. Thanks Unleashed for answering all the questions we have.

Unleashed,

Nice explanation. I was in the same boat at first when I got my iPhone. Had too many questions and thoughts. So I joined this forum. Since I used to be a bb user and started breaking that phone and learning to load different carriers firmware. I should be able to follow directions and jailbreak my iPhone.

I went ahead and did it. Wow! Is all I have to say. My phone is customized to my liking and everything I need or want is there. So many possibilities that each jailbroken iPhone is unique in their own way. Thanks Unleashed for answering all the questions we have.

Glad it helps, there is of course a lot of things i have left out and apps i have not mentioned

but yeah its so very easy to do and so many apps for you to have and install.

what ones have you installed so far?

Here we go.
1- jailbreak to enable theming and more:
ade71d1b-dbf5-2f79.jpg
ade71d1b-dc06-cc8b.jpg
ade71d1b-dc16-8408.jpg
ade71d1b-dc28-1cc8.jpg
ade71d1b-dc38-5cc7.jpg
ade71d1b-dc54-d538.jpg
ade71d1b-dc6a-d01e.jpg

2-jailbreak for better sms thread emoticons, notifications etc...

3-jailbreak to have full managment on the call log:
ade71d1b-dd02-18b5.jpg
ade71d1b-dd0e-e846.jpg
ade71d1b-dd1b-d59c.jpg

4-jailbreak to have a better youtube application which allow native videos download and more:
ade71d1b-dd51-02f3.jpg
ade71d1b-dd5f-182c.jpg
ade71d1b-dd70-b183.jpg
ade71d1b-dd80-a347.jpg
ade71d1b-dd8d-74a3.jpg
ade71d1b-dd9a-e4a5.jpg

5-jailbreak to have a better photo album easy to handle and to share with social networks:
ade71d1b-ddf2-355e.jpg
ade71d1b-de01-8611.jpg
ade71d1b-de12-5d87.jpg
ade71d1b-de24-234a.jpg
ade71d1b-de33-f805.jpg
ade71d1b-de4b-4a56.jpg
ade71d1b-de5a-d1bb.jpg
ade71d1b-de6a-621a.jpg
ade71d1b-de79-b106.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
O wow, there's soo much to list. I have my themes in the theme section. But I love the tweaks more than most of the apps.

I'll list:
Carbon X Pro HD theme
Carbon X Bundle packages
Hackintosh Lockscreen
3D Board
Alt Icons
Alarming
App Backup
App Info
App List
Auto Location
Barrel
Backward Compatibility
Big U Movies
Bite SMS
BossPaper (rotating wallpaper)
Bootlogo
Byta Font (Like fontswap)
Camera Wallpaper (pretty cool to impress)
Celeste Bluetooth File Transfer (transfer via bluetooth now)
ClearLockscreen 4.0
CleanUp (cleans phone and web browser)
Custom Loading Screen
CyDelete
DisplayOut
Fast Copy (Tweak for copy/paste)
Five Column SpringBoard
Five Icon Dock
Folder Enhancer (really nice folder)
Folders in Folders
FullScreen for Safari
FX Bluetooth Staus Bar
GraviBoard
GridLock (places icons anywhere)
iFile
iMemory Enhancer
iPicMy Contacts (show pics in contacts list)
iRemix
Mobile Volume Sound (Adds sound when turning up volume button)
Multiflow (List apps running in background so you can close them)
Multi Icon Mover (Moves mutliple Icons at once)
MusicBar Extended (Control iPod through the status bar while locked)
MxTube
My3G
No Bookmarks (stops Safari from showing bookmarks when opened)
Pkg Backup (a must have)
Popup Blocker
Pull to refresh Safari
Recent Calllog Delete (adds a delete for each calllog)
Retina App Icons (Adds better graphics for retina display)
Resupported (Supports non apple plugs for TV)
Safari Download Manager
Safari Quitter (Quits safari when home button is pressed to save memory)
SB Settings (a must have)
Sleep FX (A cool way to make your phone sleep)
SMS Vibration Boost (boosts vibration for SMS,MMS,mail)
Snow Cover (shoes album cover on lockscreen while listening to iPod)
Springtomize
Stay Opened (downloading in background while you browse)
Transparent Dock
Transparent StatusBar
UI Revamped (more better graphincs for iOS 4)
Video Lock (plays video while locked)
Weather Elements
WinterBoard
IMG_8161.png
IMG_5499.png
IMG_0347.png
IMG_8242.png

IMG_0520.png
IMG_9406.png
IMG_5446.png
IMG_8512.png

Last edited:
very good list of apps worth downloading, my first post shows celeste in action :)

Thankyou for a very clear intro, I have been stalled on jb my iP4, it is an expensive bit of kit and a vital tool for my Buisness. The fear if 'bricking' my phone still scares me.

You suggest doing proper research to ensure valide versions, sites bosting there software is up ti date but is not. So would it be an idea to post a set of trusted/recommended sites to start in with?

I don't (like many no doubt) have a clue who is genuine and who is fake out there or how to tell, the fear, the 'risk' keeps me loyal to apples app store ATM.

Could you also clarify the warranty void issue, if your phone suddenly dies you won't be able to restore to a pucker IOS, and so hide it was jailbroken. if the tech eng can get it going without serious surgery he wil see it is m that surely is a worry?

CP

Thanks for the info bit I have a small question :confused: how do you jailbreak the iphone IE load a program on to the computer and do it that way or do you load a program onto the iphone :confused:

Thanks for the info bit I have a small question :confused: how do you jailbreak the iphone IE load a program on to the computer and do it that way or do you load a program onto the iphone :confused:

what firmware are you on?

what firmware are you on?

I'm running 4.2.1 On A Iphone 3G
If you are on baseband 01.59.00 or if your phone is a factory unlocked phone and if you are not planing to upgrade to iOS 4.3.3 then
1- get the latest redsnow tool from the dev-team blog.
2- Download the ipsw 4.2.1 from Internet.
3- update your iTunes to the latest version.
4- Connect your phone to your computer, open up iTunes and backup your iPhone files using iTunes. Pay attention and Ignore all notification about iOS upgrade.
5- close iTunes and run redsnow. On step 2; direct redsnow to the ipsw you just downloaded from internet and follow redsnow onscreen instruction.
6- When jailbreak is done close redsnow and open up iTunes and restore your backup.
You are good to go.