What's new

The VZW store folks are idiots

Lightingguy

Reaction score
My nephew needs a new iPhone, his 4 is about dead. He's 24 and living in Australia for the year but is back for the holidays and wants to upgrade to the 5.

I'm the tech guru in the family so do the research and - Yes, the 5 is unlocked and only needs an Australia nano-simm, so off to the Verizon store we go as they offer 25% off on accessories with a new device.

The sales folks at 2 stores (real Verizon stores, not just dealers) insist that the 5 is not un-locked, cannot be unlocked and it would violate the contract. The shift managers at both stores confirm.

So we call tech support. They are very helpful and confirm that the 5 is unlocked and only needs local activation and a nano simm when in country. VZW Global support confrims this as well and texts me this as well as a phone number to call, but essentially tells me "You really don't need to try to educate the sales folks", just call us back if there's a problem. Gives name and number and is generally very helpful, which I have always found to be the case with VZW. Nephew buys the phone at the store, mentions nothing to the store staff.

The store folks are just plain dumb as sin.

Last edited:
Wow I did not know that. I have always hated how phones where not interchange with CDMA and GSM networks. This is great. I hope this leads to a standard in the industry.

Sent from my iPhone

Wow I did not know that. I have always hated how phones where not interchange with CDMA and GSM networks. This is great. I hope this leads to a standard in the industry.
Sent from my iPhone

This was one of the requirements of Verizons bid to obtain access to the 700mhz frequency band for the 4G LTE system. It applies to all phones using that band, including Android phones, though I'm not certain which of those are GSM capable.

Verizon Leaving iPhone 5 SIM Slots Unlocked as Required by FCC Network Access Regulations - Mac Rumors

Verizon reps always lie to me. I bought a 5 on a basic line and upgraded to 2 gb then switched my bionic on my unlimited line with the iPhone 5 2 gb line. But the store were I bought it said I couldn't do it in store and to call customer support. I did and they said all I need to do is have a sales rep put new SIM cards in which is free to customers. So I went to a different store and did the switch and now I have a iPhone 5 on an unlimited line :).

I never go to the Verizon store for anything lol. I just call customer service for any questions and order online when I need.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD