What's new

The UK is being ripped off again.

bertyminty

Reaction score
Just returned from the US and thought while I'm out there I'll price an iPhone8, $799!! Also looked at the accessories and priced up the official base charger for the iPhone $55.99!!
Now in the UK they are £799 and £59.99 respectively, so I thought even with the poor exchange rate I'd be a fool not to buy both, so I did, got home the other day and got the credit card bill for them both and it came to
£702. Not sure I need to say much more as the figures speak for themselves.

Just returned from the US and thought while I'm out there I'll price an iPhone8, $799!! Also looked at the accessories and priced up the official base charger for the iPhone $55.99!!
Now in the UK they are £799 and £59.99 respectively, so I thought even with the poor exchange rate I'd be a fool not to buy both, so I did, got home the other day and got the credit card bill for them both and it came to
£702. Not sure I need to say much more as the figures speak for themselves.
The major reason for the higher prices in the UK is that it includes the VAT. If you buy an iPhone in the U.S. and bring it to the UK, you’ll have to pay the VAT as iPhones cost more than the duty free limits.

In addition, iPhone warranties are not worldwide. if you have a warranty issue, Apple may or may not honour the warranty. If they won't service the iPhone, you may have to send or take it to the U.S. to obtain warranty service.

Also the tax rate in the U.S. Is about 1/2 (10% vs. 20%) that of the U.K. Which is about $70.