What's new

The iPhone 7 Has a Built-in Software Workaround in Case the Taptic Home Button Fails

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 7 has workaround for taptic home button failure.JPG

MacRumors reports that Apple has built a fail-safe software workaround into the iPhone 7 in case the new Taptic Engine home button fails. The iPhone 7 is the first iPhone not to have a physical home button, replacing the old click-enabled home button with a “solid-state” pressure sensitive button that works using haptic feedback instead of button presses.

The iPhone 7’s Taptic Engine feedback is an integral part of iOS 10, and so in case of failure, the phone will automatically prompt you about a temporary workaround if it should fail.

A MacRumors forum member, “iwayne,” discovered the workaround when his haptic feedback button started glitching after his phone switched itself off when it was charging. A notification dialogue alerted iwayne that “The Home Button May Need Service. In the meantime, you can use the onscreen Home button below.” Below the notification is an onscreen Home button that can be used until the phone is fixed.

Source: Apple Offers a Temporary Workaround if the Home Button Fails on an iPhone 7

That's excellent planning on the part of Apple to let you keep using your iPhone until you can get it serviced. You will lose access to Apple Pay, though.

So only a few weeks since they have been on the market, the home button fails. Apple had a built in system to keep their customers happy. Is this going to happen more and more as time and usage goes by l wonder? Where they expecting this?

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

So only a few weeks since they have been on the market, the home button fails. Apple had a built in system to keep their customers happy. Is this going to happen more and more as time and usage goes by l wonder? Where they expecting this?

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

I doubt it. Hopefully, it's not going to become a thing.