What's new

The "Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on iOS X.X.X" Thread

There is NO auto install on an iOS device.

This is an incorrect statement. Iā€™ve been doing this a very long time.

When you click ā€œInstall Laterā€ there is no final warning if the package is already downloaded to phone.

Itā€™s possible weā€™re just using different terminology. I would agree that thereā€™s no ā€œautoā€œ install in the sense that you have no options. But the install later option on iOS 10 and iOS 11 replaced the install tonight option from earlier firmware. There is no other warning you get after clicking install later.

This is an incorrect statement. Iā€™ve been doing this a very long time.

When you click ā€œInstall Laterā€ there is no final warning if the package is already downloaded to phone.

Itā€™s possible weā€™re just using different terminology. I would agree that thereā€™s no ā€œautoā€œ install in the sense that you have no options. But the install later option on iOS 10 and iOS 11 replaced the install tonight option from earlier firmware. There is no other warning you get after clicking install later.

Selecting "Install Later" is giving permission to perform the install. The difference is it waits until night and installs with no further requirement for your input.

This will happen, your iPhone will update that night without your needing to be awake and acknowledge it again!

The only way to stop it once you have given permission by selecting to install later is to delete the downloaded install file.

Selecting "Install Later" is giving permission to perform the install. The difference is it waits until night and installs with no further requirement for your input.

This will happen, your iPhone will update that night without your needing to be awake and acknowledge it again!

The only way to stop it once you have given permission by selecting to install later is to delete the downloaded install file.

Exactly what I said. This is an ā€œauto installā€ process. SciFan was trying to say it did not exist.

The great danger of this implementation by Apple is that itā€™s deceptive. The words ā€œInstall Laterā€ imply to even a ā€˜poor student of Englishā€™ ā€”> ā€œInstall later when I say so - not automaticallyā€..

So you can more easily lose your jailbreakable firmware not knowing how it happened. It would never occur to the casual user to click on ā€œDetailsā€ to stop the process. This is Appleā€™s forceful way of always wanting people on the newest firmware.

I just try to warn users hopeful of a coming jailbreak of this ā€œauto Installā€ threat.

The best way to prevent this at all is to install Appleā€™s TVOS profile. This will prevent new firmwares from even downloading.

For the more daring - you can use FilzaJailed/Escaped to go into your /etc folder. Open the hosts file and add this line at bottom:

0.0.0.0 mesu.apple.com

Then save and reboot. This will also prevent the downloading of the new firmware updates.

The best way to prevent this at all is to install Appleā€™s TVOS profile. This will prevent new firmwares from even downloading.

For the more daring - you can use FilzaJailed/Escaped to go into your /etc folder. Open the hosts file and add this line at bottom:

0.0.0.0 mesu.apple.com

Then save and reboot. This will also prevent the downloading of the new firmware updates.

?????

Exactly what I said. This is an ā€œauto installā€ process. SciFan was trying to say it did not exist.

The great danger of this implementation by Apple is that itā€™s deceptive. The words ā€œInstall Laterā€ imply to even a ā€˜poor student of Englishā€™ ā€”> ā€œInstall later when I say so - not automaticallyā€..

So you can more easily lose your jailbreakable firmware not knowing how it happened. It would never occur to the casual user to click on ā€œDetailsā€ to stop the process. This is Appleā€™s forceful way of always wanting people on the newest firmware.

I just try to warn users hopeful of a coming jailbreak of this ā€œauto Installā€ threat.
Just ignore the Install later pop up. What I meant is that an iOS update will not install unless you actively select install now or install later. If you do nothing, the update will just download and wait for you to either install it or delete the download.

Just ignore the Install later pop up. What I meant is that an iOS update will not install unless you actively select install now or install later. If you do nothing, the update will just download and wait for you to either install it or delete the download.

No contest to that statement. But it has nothing to do with my original warning/statement. The point is - after iOS 10 - there is no more Install Now choice. The moment the ā€œautoā€-download completes you get a pop up window with only two choices: ā€œDetailsā€ and ā€œInstall Laterā€. If you hit ā€œINSTALL LATERā€ you will get no more chances to stop the install - it will auto install overnight. Your only choice is to hit Details button and thatā€™s not intuitive.

ā€œInstall Laterā€ implies to most people ā€œtell me again later and give me a chance to say yes or noā€. But sadly - that is a wrong assumption.

Before iOS 10 - The Install Later pop up gave you 2 choices after clicking it.

1) Install Tonight
2) Install Later

Clicking install later then brought up the same choices several hours later until you deleted the package. My point has been that there is now an ā€œauto installingā€ aspect that was not there before iOS 10.

Jailbreakers be cautious.
Nuff said.

does online jailbreaking sites are also fake? such as EDITED - scam link it says they will download Cydia to any ios version

Last edited by a moderator: