What's new

The "Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on iOS X.X.X" Thread

Thanks for the advice. This could be a foolish question but is there a way that I could update to iOS 5 so that I can use an untethered jb or would I be better to update to iOS 6 and wait for the jb to become available?

Thanks for the advice. This could be a foolish question but is there a way that I could update to iOS 5 so that I can use an untethered jb or would I be better to update to iOS 6 and wait for the jb to become available?

Since you're currently JB... open Cydia and see what iOS version are listed atop the Home screen. That'll give us an idea of what we're working with. If 5.1.1 is there... you'll be able to restore to that iOS version.

I've lost all hope that I will see a JB

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Patience is the key to success.

Go to .................. It breaks it down for people (like me) who have never done it before. I had no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to .................. It breaks it down for people (like me) who have never done it before. I had no issues.

Please refrain from posting External links to sites that offer Jailbreaking and/or Unlocking services. Thanks!

Please refrain from posting External links to sites that offer Jailbreaking and/or Unlocking services. Thanks!
Thomasj, since I'm still new here may I ask why the forum wants to restrict such links? thanks.....

Thomasj, since I'm still new here may I ask why the forum wants to restrict such links? thanks.....

More often than not... these sites do one of two things. Offer paid Jailbreaks and/or Unlocks... when Jailbreaks are ALWAYS free. Or offer a Jailbreak that simply doesn't exist. Example... if they're offering to Jailbreak an iPhone 5... IT'S FAKE.

More often than not... these sites do one of two things. Offer paid Jailbreaks and/or Unlocks... when Jailbreaks are ALWAYS free. Or offer a Jailbreak that simply doesn't exist. Example... if they're offering to Jailbreak an iPhone 5... IT'S FAKE.
Ah thanks. So the forum wants to protect people from being taken advantage of. Great.

But I will say that all the Unlock sites I've visited on eBay are legit because eBay vets their sellers very well and you can see their % positive feedback to protect yourself.

Ah thanks. So the forum wants to protect people from being taken advantage of. Great.

But I will say that all the Unlock sites I've visited on eBay are legit because eBay vets their sellers very well and you can see their % positive feedback to protect yourself.

But on that note, you also have sellers that take advantage of their high feedback rate from time to time. A while back, there were a string of sellers on eBay that had high positive feedback, but were caught by eBay when they intentionally "scammed" 1 order out of every 300 or so. The other 299 were legit sales, but they take advantage of that 1 buyer. And over time, those add up, that 1 buyer becomes 2, 3, 4 etc etc, and in the long run, that's a few extra dollars in their pocket. You can never be too safe with online buyers/sellers. Always double and triple check before buying, which is why I prefer to buy most of my items off of guaranteed middlemen like Amazon. If anything goes wrong, they'll reimburse you first thing, then chase after the problem.

That would depend on how far the iOS get in terms of upgrades. If you take a look at the 3GS, it's been through 4 iOS thresholds and is still a pretty strong device itself. I would say the 3GS might make the cut up until possibly 7.1 before it gets cut off if Apple decides to bring it to iOS 7. But the iPad 2 and 3 will definitely hit 7. The discontinuation of upgrades for the iPad 2 and 3 will probably be the same since their processing potential is about the same. The only reason the 3 was discontinued and the 4 was pushed in its place was really because of manufacturing and design flaws, mainly the devices exploding and catching on fire.

The only reason the 3 was discontinued and the 4 was pushed in its place was really because of manufacturing and design flaws, mainly the devices exploding and catching on fire.
That wasn't the main reason from what I've read. The main reason was the 3rd gen had too limited a set of LTE frequencies overseas (mostly AT&T) and the false advertising lawsuit in Australia pushed them to redo the bands for the 4.

That wasn't the main reason from what I've read. The main reason was the 3rd gen had too limited a set of LTE frequencies overseas (mostly AT&T) and the false advertising lawsuit in Australia pushed them to redo the bands for the 4.

That too. But as per safety issues, it would be the potential bomb in your hands or bag. Which is really scary..... Which is also why it's recommended that you use certified or OEM cables rather than cheap generics like those 8 footers you see on eBay. Quality control makes a huge difference, guess Apple learned that from the iPad 3, which was why they scrutinized the iPhone 5

That too. But as per safety issues, it would be the potential bomb in your hands or bag. Which is really scary.....
Can't agree with you here. If it were that dangerous there would have been a recall. The reported incidents of 3rd gen problems like you mention have been infinitesimal and in very very unique circumstances only. The 3rd gen is no time bomb on your purse. Lol! People need not fear anything. That whole line of story had felt more like Internet conspiracy hype than anything else. If you have a credible source from which I can read more I'd love to read it. But the stuff I've read about the '3rd gen alleged bomb' has been from questionable sources.

I'll see if I can pull up the archives on that article. It was a while back.