What's new

text sounds?

grunt0300

Reaction score
I'm running IOS5.01 on my iPhone4, but i have a question about text sounds. Among others, i can attach a tone to outgoing e-mails. Can i also attach a tone to outgoing text messages, without having to jailbreak my phone? I'd rather stay "stock", if i can. Thanks for any help.

count DUKU....^^

no you can't attack the tones unless you jailbreak. If you really need to email tones you can probably find them online and send it that way

I think he means assign, not attach....changing the sounds for said actions.

I think he means assign tones to said actions, not attach.

Edit: Sorry for double post, my ipf app locked up while sending so I canceled the first one....but guess it actually sent.

Last edited:
ah well if he means assign the text tones then tap on settings > sounds and there is listed all the tones for email and texts..etc you can assign either ringtones or text tones to including the noise it makes when sending an email

And you can sync new text and email tones from iTunes can't you?

well with ios 5 you can basically use ringtones as sms or other tones, so you upload it as a ringtone and then assign it to a text or email tone in the sounds settings.

Gotcha...wasn't quite sure as I don't get my 4s until tomorrow and all I have is an iPad.

Gotcha...wasn't quite sure as I don't get my 4s until tomorrow and all I have is an iPad.

no worries, here is a guide how to create ringtones from audio files, http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-4-faq-16/how-make-custom-ringtones-your-iphone-20631/

you cannot simply select a song and then use it as a ringtone you have to create and upload via itunes and in the phones settings it will let you assign the ringtones to mail or text or anything you chose.

Thanks for the replies. With the new IOS5, when you send an e-mail, you can personalize the sound, as it leaves the phone. I wonder why they left out that feature with text messages? Oh well, maybe with IOS6.0, or in a galaxy far, far away. May the Force be with you.

Thanks for the replies. With the new IOS5, when you send an e-mail, you can personalize the sound, as it leaves the phone. I wonder why they left out that feature with text messages? Oh well, maybe with IOS6.0, or in a galaxy far, far away. May the Force be with you.

left out the feature with texts? you can have custom texts as well.. I use the icq sound.. "uh oh"

So when you send out a text, you can hear any sound that you have on your phone?

So when you send out a text, you can hear any sound that you have on your phone?

oh when you send out a text, I thought you meant incoming texts.. no you can't change that, as you said maybe in ios 6 or even an update it ios 5.. we will see.

you fought well duku