What's new

Text messages showing up with phone numbers instead of contact names

enlightened

Reaction score
Any way I can fix this? Got the phone on Saturday and just noticed this today. It's not happening with all contacts, just some of them.

Thanks!

EDIT- Should have mentioned that I have an iPhone 4S running IOS 5.0.1

Last edited:
While reading one of these messages, Add to Contacts and see how the entry is different from what you already have for that person. Edit the rest of your contacts to fix the problem.

Mine started doing that because it changed my contacts to 1224567890 instead of (123) 456-7890. Went to settings general reset and reset all settings and everything was back to normal. But I had to redo my settings. Wifi passwords. Ringtone etc

enlightened said:
Any way I can fix this? Got the phone on Saturday and just noticed this today. It's not happening with all contacts, just some of them.

Thanks!

EDIT- Should have mentioned that I have an iPhone 4S running IOS 5.0.1

I found in Apple's help files that it may work if you changed the language for your phone then change it back. It worked for me when suddenly my iPhone user friends in my contacts were showing up at their phone number and not name. It didn't do this before but suddenly started. Odd, isn't it? But this fix worked for me.

Try removing the sim card from the tray and putting it back while having the phone on. This trick worked for me.