What's new

Text changed from "read" to "delivered"

username 1457

Reaction score
Recently I sent a text and got the read receipt below it. then about an hour later, the status changed to "delivered" How do you do that and how does this happen? How can you change the delivery status on a single text?

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

When you send an SMS, the first status you'll get is "Delivered", then it will be "Read", as soon as the one who received the message has read it - a different order than the one you described. You don't have an influence on the status, it happens on it's own, afaik. That's why I'm wondering why it was different in your case.

My guess is that the recipient changed one of his settings after reading your message. If he or she owns an iPhone, this can be changed in Settings - Messages - Send Read Receipts. When it's enabled, you'll get "Read", as soon as the message has been read. If it's disabled, you won't get this status.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of the settings and have changed that before on my own iphone, but it was a little strange to look at how this one particular message went from "Read" to "Delivered" then to "Read yesterday" Strange. Wonder if mine ever does that. Perhaps it could have something to do with multiple devices - iphone, mac, ipad, etc.

My son has an iPad and an iPhone, but I've never noticed this behaviour when I sent him a message.

It looks like this is a glitch that appeared with iOS 9.3, and hasn't been fixed yet.

What's the software installed on your iPhone?