What's new

Tethering with IPhone 5

Medic646

Reaction score
There is an company that claims that their app can tether your IPhone 5 to your computer using an adhoc network so you can tether without jail breaking your phone. I am wondering if anyone has used it & if it works? I am not sure if I can post their web address but I am going to so if a moderator can correct it if I am wrong please do so. it is Tether.com.

Waste of time since tethering is built in to iOS.

you do have to have your provider enable the function (at least Verizon has to) but after that, it works like a charm. I use my iPhone to tether my iPad (which is wifi only). I have used it for other devices with no issues.

Yeah, iOS tethering works pretty good. But be ready for seriously fast battery drain. Although, That's true of any phone tethering.

Medic646 said:
Is that through the hotspot that Verizon puts on the phone? If not how do I do it? I'm brand new to the IPhone.

Verizon doesn't put it on your phone, it's built into the iOS. The cellular carrier just activates it.
Once activated, you'll see it in settings.

$image-3062720348.jpgTap the off button and you go to the next screen.

$image-2776954523.jpgSlide the switch to on and your hotspot is active.

$image-880199000.jpgYour hotspot is now discoverable.

$image-1112157982.jpgwhen it's connected, you'll see the connection message at the top of the screen.

Last edited:
Love love being able to tether my phone now!!

AT&T has a shared data & teether is Included yay!
Perfect or connecting to the iPad ok long rides w my 5 yr old daughter and Netflix

I'm lucky with my cellular carrier, I have unlimited free tethering to go with my unlimited data plan. It seems that Canadian cellular carriers are not as adverse as their American counterparts in continuing to offer unlimited data plans.

Last edited:
Assuming they'll overlook it. I don't care about the tethering fee but I don't use it much either anyways since my company pays the bills, and I use clear mobile hotspot on the go

I dialed 611 to talk to a rep about adding tethering to my iPhone. I looked all over the AT&T website and could not get anywhere. I also tried the MyAT&T App with no luck. After only about a 5 minute wait I told the Rep that I wanted to add a tethering plan and she said she could switch me to a plan that was $15 less than I was paying. This plan includes the tethering ability and a 10GB data plan, (I had 5GB before). After a phone reboot I was good to go. I don't plan to use the tether all the time, only when traveling which I do about once a month. I can't believe it took me 6 months of doodling around and wining. Some times it pays to make the call.