What's new

talk into the phone to type text messages?

soimcrazy

Reaction score
I just bought an iphone from Verizon last night, my first smartphone.

I was looking at a droid last night too. One had a feature where you can talk into the phone and it will type your text messages for you. I really like that for when I am driving. Is there a mod or an app for the iphone that will do that?

There is an app called Dragon Dictation on the Apple store and it is free.

There is an app called Dragon Dictation on the Apple store and it is free.

You will have to copy the text from dragon and paste it into you sms text window, but it's better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is not true. You can choose SMS, Email, and other options.

i downloaded it.
Im testing it now.
Now if i get a text, can I respond directly using the dragon or do I have to go to dragon and put in the persons phone number and start talking/texting from there?

That is not true. You can choose SMS, Email, and other options.

Hoo yes, my bad. I've never figure out that one, i just find it there. Still i think that i need to type in my correspondant phone number or email address, which is something not really automatic but again far better than i thought 10mn ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate Dragon Dictation. It is garbage compared to what other phones offer. For example, on my Droid, the one thing I missed is the integrated Voice to Text. All you had to do was hit the little Mic button on the keyboard and talked then hit send when finished. That's it. So you could easily text while driving just as easy (and safely) as you could talking on a hands free set.

With DD, you have to close the popup you get about the text, open the DD app, hit record (on Android it just waits for your voice to start and stop, no need to hit record or stop), record your voice, hit stop, choose where you want to send it, find the contact (because it doesn't integrate with the messaging app), paste it in, and then hit send.

Just as dangerous as texting and driving.

That's just my .02 though.

Not significant enough to not LOVE my iPhone4 and glad I am selling my Droid X.

i downloaded it.
Im testing it now.
Now if i get a text, can I respond directly using the dragon or do I have to go to dragon and put in the persons phone number and start talking/texting from there?

How'd that work for you?

that was a great feature that was available on my droid but not the iphone. it was really great when driving.

A good message thread showing that Apple, and the iPhone, need a much improved speech to text function, or app. Dragon Dictation is about the best around, but as reported, it has major limitations. Apple???

I just downloaded Dragon Dictation; I played around with it for a while, got a few laughs due to inaccuracy on certain words but am pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of other words and the speed at which I'm able to speak. It even places punctuation! In other words, when you say period, it places a "." instead of spelling out the word "period". I am glad I found it! I think it will be very useful in certain situations, however, it is not a solution to text-while-driving, certainly no safer. You do have to copy it in the app and then paste after opening messages. Good find though!