What's new

Sync music

wrhatt

Reaction score
I did a search on this forum on how to sync music to an iPhone but only came up with the "cant's"; can't do this can't do that. I'm sure this iphone WILL I just don't know how. All the instructions are similar, launch itune, connect iPhone, select your device from the left hand column. And that is where I have to stop, I don't have a left hand column from which to select a devise. I have attached the screen shot of what I see when I launch itune and connect the phone. There's no selecting anything from the left hand column. And please don't say press scan for media. There is way to much on my computer that I do not want itunes having access to. I have 1 music folder and 1 photo folder that iTunes may access on this computer. So please tell me what I'm missing that I'm sure is obvious to every one else. Thank you.

Attachments

• $Untitled-1.jpg
    $Untitled-1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 311
Click View on the Menu Bar and select "Show SideBar". Or simply hit "CRTL+S" and the sidebar should pop up on the left.

Can't figure out for the life of me why Apple took the sidebar away and made it hard to find the setting to reinstate. Also it's not intutive to have "Tones" selected in your library for your ringtones to show up. And last but not least...why they make automatic syncing as the default...blows my mind! So many issues could be resolved if they fixed those three things.

Thank you. That's how iTunes should open. Does anyone have a link to a "how to video" for syncing. I've checked [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Technologyguru77 but he must skip a step as iTunes still won't load the music.

[/FONT]

You can set syncing to automatic. Or if you want to manually do it, just open up the categories individually in either your iTunes library or your iPhone's library and click the Sync button. I personally prefer to stay away from iTunes because the UI isn't friendly at all, so I don't sync by clicking the sync button, but more towards select all, and dragging and dropping them around.

And there is the problem. What is plain to you I can't see. I don't see a iTunes library button nor a iphone library button. I should point out that this is not my phone. I do Android, and this is one of the reasons why. It is my teenagers phone. I was just trying to be a nice dad by getting it for him. This is why I need a video so I can see what buttons to click on.

Did you get the sidebar to open? You should see "Library" as the top listing. Make sure the music is showing in the library. It's been so long since I set mine up I am not sure how I "got" it into the library though! Then click on the iPhone device on the sidebar and then click on "music" at the top. then click "sync". You may want to edit your settings so that things don't sync automatically. Go to Edit>Preferences>Devices>check "Prevent iPods, iPhones from syncing automatically"

I got the control panel to open and I see that library isnot a button but it is what holds everything. In iTunes I see the music categoryand I see the 50 songs my kid wants from my computer, and I see the iPhone anda sync button. I press sync, lines move across the top of iTunes, I go to theiPhone, press music and it shows the 7 songs he purchased when he got the phoneand not the 50 songs he wants off my computer. So where am I missing a step? I appreciateyou helping me on this.

Try selecting them all by pressing crtl+a and dragging them from your Library over to your iPhone. Just click on all the items selected, drag them over and hover over your device until the little circle with the line across disappears and one with a little arrow does. Then drop it, and it should transfer over to your iPhone.

Oh, drag and drop onto the device, got it. That worked. Wow,I hope we don’t have to do that again. Thank you.

I prefer to drag and drop my items. It's less confusing than syncing, especially if your files are stored on your device and such. You can also drag items from your computer directly (like your Music folder or C drive or your desktop or whatever) and just drag and drop them like you just did. Assuming the formats are supported by iTunes, it'll sync over without a problem.