What's new

Street phones

brixtonboy

Reaction score
Just been reading in the local paper, Telekom wish to dismantle 10 street phones.
All it appears to do with, is lack of use over the past years.
They also say to continue to use them they will need modifications.
I have lived in this area for the past 15 years, but l have never seen one, that can't be right l must have.
However always having my handy in my pocket l've never needed one.
Strange thing is cigarette machines are everywhere, that l don't understand.

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

Removing most street phones is something that is going on in most countries, including Canada where I live. Cigarette machines were outlawed in Canada years ago. I haven't seen one in over 20 years.

In London they are all shiny and red, the old time boxes.
Especially for the tourists and when it's pouring down.

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

I saw an old British telephone kiosk in Trier. Apparently they are quite popular overseas.
I've seen them in Canada as well.

One thing that's very rare to see anywhere in Britain nowadays are the old blue police call boxes. Think Doctor Who. I saw two of them on the streets of Glasgow.

Did they look bigger inside

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

I've seen them in Canada as well.

One thing that's very rare to see anywhere in Britain nowadays are the old blue police call boxes. Think Doctor Who. I saw two of them on the streets of Glasgow.

I don't ever recall seeing one and I lived there for years.

The two in Glasgow are probably for the police to hide in when Celtic and Rangers are playing. The after game celebrations can be a tad energetic.

50 coppers all squeezed in together nice

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.

I don't ever recall seeing one and I lived there for years.

The two in Glasgow are probably for the police to hide in when Celtic and Rangers are playing. The after game celebrations can be a tad energetic.
This is one of the ones I saw in Glasgow, on Buchanan street.
IMG_3178.JPG

Our phone boxes here in Australia, are being installed with public wifi (Telstra Air). Although it's a paid for service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk