What's new

Straight talk

Fully

Reaction score
How can i search for a thread or set of posts re: using an iPhone 5 on Straight Talk?

You would have to purchase a re-existing iPhone 5, and unlock it for use with Straight Talk. If it was previously on AT&T, or the iPhone 5 in question was purchased during the release date, meaning that it's already unlocked regardless of which network it was tied with, then you wouldn't need to unlock the device and it would be available for use with Straight Talk.

You would have to purchase a re-existing iPhone 5, and unlock it for use with Straight Talk. If it was previously on AT&T, or the iPhone 5 in question was purchased during the release date, meaning that it's already unlocked regardless of which network it was tied with, then you wouldn't need to unlock the device and it would be available for use with Straight Talk.

I thought Verizon ip5 were the unlocked ones?

Been eyeing it for quite some time now. I guess I am scared to try it! I have been with AT&T for probobly 3 years now, 2 phones are 150+. I even use Google voice, no SMS MMS etc! I would get MMS back, but wonder if I may be real disatisfied on CS etc...

I have used Straight Talk for a year and a half. Initially, I used my 3Gs and that worked fine--identical to the AT&T service. Hearing that Verizon has better coverage, I bought one of their cheep flip phones and paid $30 for 1000 minutes. Have been using that ever since. My iPad mini gets all my mail, iMssages, and web perches with much larger font than an iPhone. I don't need it much outside of WiFi, so that system works. However, now I am interested in getting an iPhone 5 to use when I am on the move. But, I do not want to be forever tied to Straight Talk so I want a phone that I can move to Verizon if I want to use LTE (Straight Talk network does not offer LTE--voice goes over their CDMA).

How can I buy an iPhone 5 and use it on Straight Talk but have the ability to switch to Verizon later?

Buy an iPhone 5 model A1429 from Apple. This will require you to pay the full retail price. At launch model A1429 was unlocked for NON-LTE use and should accept a Straight-Talk SIM. I would double check with Apple to make sure that nothing has changed since launch.