What's new

Squaretrade vs. the monthy fee warranty

Matth3w

Reaction score
Which is better? The ST is better if I'm not mistaken, right? Because isn't the monthly fee like $15 on an iPhone or something from Applecare?

Are you looking for an insurance policy or an extended warranty period?

Insurance, as in if I drop it etc. I don't carry a case with my phones, to me that defeats the purpose of having an ultra thin phone. So I need something in case I drop it or break it (which has never happened to me in the past, but you never really know)

I'll say it again...

AppleCare IS NOT INSURANCE. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

AppleCare is simply an extended warranty and does NOT cover accidental damage.

For insurance purposes (dropping, bathing, breaking, etc), Verizon's costs $7.99 a month I think, and there is a $90 deductible. This means if you break your phone, you pay $90 to Verizon and they give you a refurbished one.

SquareTrade's insurance is $99 for one year, with $50 deductible. But they specifically fix YOUR phone. And if it's not fixable, then they give you a refurbished replacement.

The only difference that I'm aware of is that Verizon's insurance plan covers lost/stolen phones, while SquareTrade does not.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. And they are to be trusted, right? You have 30 days from date of purchase to purchase the warranty?

I hope so, I've seen a lot of positive reviews for them. And you are correct, you have until 30 days after the date of purchase to buy the insurance. I believe that's the same with Verizon as well, though I'm not 100% positive.