What's new

Sons iPhone 5 lost its marbles

natthewife

Reaction score
Bought my son a used iPhone 5. Been great the last week then suddenly has gone bonky! Turns off randomly, charges while turned off, battery drops from say 90 to 80 then jumps back up again, has anyone an idea what is wrong? Tia

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

This could happen because of the battery indicator, it could be a problem with the software or the hardware.

This is what you could try:
Run down the battery until his iPhone turns off, then charge it to 100 %. This will recalibrate the battery, and hopefully solve your problem.

Otherwise, second suggestion: make sure iTunes on your computer is up to date, backup the iDevice (iTunes or iCloud, whichever method you prefer), and restore his iPhone using iTunes. It's possible to restore from a backup afterwards.

If this doesn't help, you'll have to take it to an Apple Retail Store, or contact Apple Support.

Just checked online and his phone is eligible for battery replacement program so do they replace battery or complete handset?

Just checked online and his phone is eligible for battery replacement program so do they replace battery or complete handset?

They'll replace the battery.

In case you didn't see this site, it's also visible here:
iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program - Apple Support
I had the battery in my iPhone 5 replaced last year under this program, it only took half an hour. The battery replacement program expires on the 15th of March so don't wait too long.

The site J. A. Linked to also has a locator so you can find the closest repair shop to your location that will replace your battery.

If the battery does not solve the issue, it is likely the MotherBoard. I say this as, it is acting like it got wet. I do a TON of repairs on wet phones and yours is a perfect example of what they normally do.

Was at Apple today, battery was seriously failing according to diagnostics. Had replaced today .

Was at Apple today, battery was seriously failing according to diagnostics. Had replaced today .

That's good to hear. If not for the battery replacement program it would have cost close to $100.00 to pay for the battery replacement.