What's new

Something blocking my front camera lens. Iphone 6 128

mdstrek

Reaction score
I got an iPhone 6 in Sept. (Regular 128G Space Grey). Over the last 6-8 weeks, there is something inside the phone that I working its way across my front camera from right to left. It has a crescent moon shape (but backwards). It is not blocking the lens yet, but it looks like it is continuing to move further toward the left.

My questions:

1) Anyone know what it is?
2) Can I get my phone replaced due to manuf. defect?
3) Do I have to wait till it blocks the lens?
4) Where would I go to get this taken care of?
I got it at Verizon.

I got an iPhone 6 in Sept. (Regular 128G Space Grey). Over the last 6-8 weeks, there is something inside the phone that I working its way across my front camera from right to left. It has a crescent moon shape (but backwards). It is not blocking the lens yet, but it looks like it is continuing to move further toward the left.

My questions:

1) Anyone know what it is?
2) Can I get my phone replaced due to manuf. defect?
3) Do I have to wait till it blocks the lens?
4) Where would I go to get this taken care of?
I got it at Verizon.
Your iPhone 6 is apparently one of the small number that has a misaligned front camera. This misalignment causes the crescent effect you noticed. If you take it to the nearest Apple a store they'll repair the problem or replace the phone under warranty.
Here's an Apple Support thread on this topic, with pictures. FaceTime camera appears off-center Apple Support Communities
Does your camera look like the one in the photos?

From what I've found, this problem mostly affects the Space Grey version.

Last edited:
Yep. That's it. Is there a way besides the Apple Store? The closest one is 125mi away.

Yep. That's it. Is there a way besides the Apple Store? The closest one is 125mi away.
Has it been less than 90 days since you bought your iPhone 6? It comes with 90 days of free telephone technical support. If you purchased AppleCare+, you get 2 years of telephone technical support. You could email Apple and they would tell you what to do. You may be able to have it repaired or replaced at an authorized repair centre. Here's where to contact Apple. Contact Apple Support - Apple Support

Manufactures warranty will be 12mnths just ring Apple or book it in the genius bar

Mike A