What's new

Solar chargers. Any good for iphones

bmahony

Reaction score
Thinking of buying one for charging my phone when out and about. Are they worth the money Are they any good will they charge an iPhone from less than 10 percent to 100 percent:):):).The one I am looking at on eBay is 20 dollars

Last edited:
bmahony said:
Thinking of buying one for charging my phone when out and about. Are they worth the money Are they any good will they charge an iPhone from less than 10 percent to 100 percent:):):).The one I am looking at on eBay is 20 dollars

I'm sure you can buy solar chargers that will give you a full charge from 10% to 100% provided it is actually in the sun long enough to do so.

However in me personal opinion the idea of a solar powered charger is probably the worst idea I have ever heard.

Why?

Well......excessive heat to any Li-Ion battery will damage it. The idea of using the sun to charge your device is in the right place for environmental purposes, but is just not practice, as excessive eat will ruin your battery, plain and simple.

zig9449 said:
I'm sure you can buy solar chargers that will give you a full charge from 10% to 100% provided it is actually in the sun long enough to do so.

However in me personal opinion the idea of a solar powered charger is probably the worst idea I have ever heard.

Why?

Well......excessive heat to any Li-Ion battery will damage it. The idea of using the sun to charge your device is in the right place for environmental purposes, but is just not practice, as excessive eat will ruin your battery, plain and simple.

We will be going on a driving holiday around wales soon and I will only be using it for sat navs ds and iPhone when it's low.. Its a back up really for extra use when I am using my cigarette socket for others

bmahony said:
We will be going on a driving holiday around wales soon and I will only be using it for sat navs ds and iPhone when it's low.. Its a back up really for extra use when I am using my cigarette socket for others

Okay I see. Well when you do buy one, I would recommend one that is more like a box, where you phone plugs into it via the USB cable, opposed to one that is a case, with the solar panels on the back of it, requiring you to leave your phone in the sun, where the battery is baking.

At least this way, you can keep the charging box in the sun light, and your phone out of the sun light, instead of letting your phone sit in the sun with a case on it that draws heat directly to the device, if ya know what I mean.

I mean, do what you would like, that's just how I would go a out getting a solar powered charger.

zig9449 said:
Okay I see. Well when you do buy one, I would recommend one that is more like a box, where you phone plugs into it via the USB cable, opposed to one that is a case, with the solar panels on the back of it, requiring you to leave your phone in the sun, where the battery is baking.

At least this way, you can keep the charging box in the sun light, and your phone out of the sun light, instead of letting your phone sit in the sun with a case on it that draws heat directly to the device, if ya know what I mean.

I mean, do what you would like, that's just how I would go a out getting a solar powered charger.

The one I am looking at is a flat panel type. My phone which will be my sat nav sits just in front of my stereo system USB cable will be put from the dash to the phone.. At the moment the plan is To use the phone as a sat nav cos it is more precise. Solar charger is only as a back up. Phone is always in a cool place in the car

bmahony said:
The one I am looking at is a flat panel type. My phone which will be my sat nav sits just in front of my stereo system USB cable will be put from the dash to the phone.. At the moment the plan is To use the phone as a sat nav cos it is more precise. Solar charger is only as a back up. Phone is always in a cool place in the car

Sounds like you have a good an then. Unfortunately I don't know of any good solar chargers to recommend.......but I will say, with products like that for your iPhone.....you usually get what ya pay for.