What's new

SMS Backup

tntlassiter

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am come here recently from a Droid X that unexpectedly died on me. I am getting used to the iPhone although I have noticed it is not as customizable as the Droid without jailbreaking (which I am considering). One thing that I miss and do need is someway to backup my text messages. I have an ex that is really not nice and a pain and I have backed up all my texts (sent and received) for the past 1.5 years in case they would be needed/helpful in legal proceedings. I am looking for something similar to this for the iPhone but I am so new that I don't know if anything like this exist. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the responses...I am overwhelmed by all the help offered...lol

Your SMS are auto backup in your iTunes. You can find the backup files in your computer at this location: first enable hidden files then navigate to User-UserName-AppData-Roaming-Apple Conputer-MobileSync-Backup.
You can use tool like backup extractor or SMS extrator from Internet to extract your SMS from your most recent backup file.

Your SMS are auto backup in your iTunes. You can find the backup files in your computer at this location: first enable hidden files then navigate to User-UserName-AppData-Roaming-Apple Conputer-MobileSync-Backup.
You can use tool like backup extractor or SMS extrator from Internet to extract your SMS from your most recent backup file.

Where do I go to enable hidden files then user then...?

What computer are u using? Mac or windows?

Last edited:

Windows

Windows

If you are on a windows then open
My Computer folder, you clic on organize tab at top left conner >folder and search options. in the popup wondow clic on tab "view" then mark "show hidden files, folders and drives"> apply> ok/ when that's done, follow the address to your backup files.

Windows

My Computer folder, you clic on organize tab at top left conner >folder and search options. in the popup wondow clic on tab "view" then mark "show hidden files, folders and drives"> apply> ok/ when that's done, follow the address to your backup files.

I got it to work. It isn't quite as easy as the droid but it will work. I thank you very much!

I got it to work. It isn't quite as easy as the droid but it will work. I thank you very much!

You are welcome and good to know that it's working.

What you're doing will give you access to the database files, but they're only readable if you use a SQLite database viewer and even so, you need to custom write SQL queries to get it into any kind of format resembling a readable conversation.

Alternatively, you could use AllYourTexts. It lets you view your texts as normal conversations that you can copy/paste or export as text or HTML. You don't need to jailbreak your phone and you don't need to go manually digging through your backup folders.

(Apologies if the screenshot with the ex hits a little close to home. It's just the standard screenshot)

Full disclosure: I'm a developer for this program.

Last edited:
Where do I go to enable hidden files if I am a Mac user?

Thanks.

tntlassiter said:
Hello everyone. I am come here recently from a Droid X that unexpectedly died on me. I am getting used to the iPhone although I have noticed it is not as customizable as the Droid without jailbreaking (which I am considering). One thing that I miss and do need is someway to backup my text messages. I have an ex that is really not nice and a pain and I have backed up all my texts (sent and received) for the past 1.5 years in case they would be needed/helpful in legal proceedings. I am looking for something similar to this for the iPhone but I am so new that I don't know if anything like this exist. Any help would be appreciated.

If you jailbreak...and install biteSMS then biteSMS has a "copy to clipboard" feature inside each conversation tab.

You can copy..paste it into an email or something...then save all of then in a designated folder or something.