What's new

Sms background changer?

escalade6103

Reaction score
I'm looking for something that changes the background for the initial SMS conversation lists background. Is there a such app?

Nothing using a stock iDevice... requires a Jailbreak. Even with that, though, I'm not sure there's a tweak that just changes the conv. list background. I'm sure you can SSH in using iFile to change the color or add your own themed background.

thomasjtsi said:
Nothing using a stock iDevice... requires a Jailbreak. Even with that, though, I'm not sure there's a tweak that just changes the conv. list background. I'm sure you can SSH in using iFile to change the color or add your own themed background.

ColorKeyboard does it and there are some SMS backgrounds you can use through winterboard as well (for jailbroken devices). Got to check ios 5 compatibility though

iMarilina said:
ColorKeyboard does it and there are some SMS backgrounds you can use through winterboard as well (for jailbroken devices). Got to check ios 5 compatibility though

Color keyboard only changes the keyboard background not the conversation list background. And all the SMS themes I've looked at don't change it either

Color keyboard only changes the keyboard background not the conversation list background. And all the SMS themes I've looked at don't change it either

It works. Just put SMSBackground.png or [email protected] in your theme. The only thing I've had a problem with is a box around any images in the messages. Now if you work out how to fix that I will be in your debt.

To expand on what Suevans posted, the two image files should go in the top of a themes folder. The address will then look like this: /var/stash/Themes.../[AnyThemeName].theme/[those two png files]

As long as whichever theme you have the folder in is on top (in Winterboard), those two files will override the stock SMS backgrounds.

Oh, and the sizes should be:

SMSBackground.png = 480 x 480 pixels
[email protected] = 960 x 960

So, one's for the retina displays, the other is for the non-retina displays.

I have a lovely dark wood background in my SMS app (biteSMS). Works well there and in the stock Messages app.

Marilyn

To expand on what Suevans posted, the two image files should go in the top of a themes folder. The address will then look like this: /var/stash/Themes.../[AnyThemeName].theme/[those two png files]

As long as whichever theme you have the folder in is on top (in Winterboard), those two files will override the stock SMS backgrounds.

Oh, and the sizes should be:

SMSBackground.png = 480 x 480 pixels
[email protected] = 960 x 960

So, one's for the retina displays, the other is for the non-retina displays.

I have a lovely dark wood background in my SMS app (biteSMS). Works well there and in the stock Messages app.

Marilyn

Nice expansion. I was wondering if you had encountered my box/rectangle around images in MSG app with your theme? If not, what theme are you using please? If so, how did you solve it (assuming you have)?

Thanks

Nice expansion. I was wondering if you had encountered my box/rectangle around images in MSG app with your theme? If not, what theme are you using please? If so, how did you solve it (assuming you have)?

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean with "box/rectangle" around images. If I understand you correctly, yes, there is a background box around an attached picture in a text. This occurs in both biteSMS and in the stock Messages app. If that's the box you mean, then I don't know how to get rid of it. But, now I'll have to go look! :D. It's a puzzle that's going to itch until I find it. I'll let you know if I find it (or if it's a theme able box).

Oh, and just FYI. My theme is "a 1derful HD" theme. Even though it themes that little picture box ... me like. :)

Marilyn

I'm not sure what you mean with "box/rectangle" around images. If I understand you correctly, yes, there is a background box around an attached picture in a text. This occurs in both biteSMS and in the stock Messages app. If that's the box you mean, then I don't know how to get rid of it. But, now I'll have to go look! :D. It's a puzzle that's going to itch until I find it. I'll let you know if I find it (or if it's a theme able box).

Oh, and just FYI. My theme is "a 1derful HD" theme. Even though it themes that little picture box ... me like. :)

Marilyn

Yes, you understand correctly and it is driving me crazy! I change everything, more for the fun of it than anything else and it is definitely a puzzle that is itching me. If I find it I'll post back here. I'm not finding anything on forums but I'm surely not the only one it bothers. I have seen one post about it happening around the text boxes but I think a winter board update fixed it. I'm not sure though as it was pre-4S jailbreak. Good luck to us both!

I'm going to go check out that theme too, thank you.