What's new

Simple question

brixtonboy

Reaction score
Which button on the iPhones is for sending SMS messages? I ask only because l have free internet and sms up to my limit which l check. If l send one to a friend in Germany my country, l get charged €0.39c
I have read my contract it states l pay when l send abroad or to special numbers etc.
I use the green button with Messages on it.
Thanks BB
WhatsApp is cheaper. But l'm curious.

Your internet provider may let you send SMS messages for free, but some will charge if you include attachments such as photos or videos.
You need to check with your provider what is free and what will incur a charge.

Your internet provider may let you send SMS messages for free, but some will charge if you include attachments such as photos or videos.
You need to check with your provider what is free and what will incur a charge.
If you're sending to another iPhone, use iMessage. Even if your carrier charges extra for sending pictures or videos in a text message, they can't do that with iMessage as the messages are encrypted and the carrier can't tell whether or not you're sending pictures or videos in that iMessage.

If l send using Messages l would never add anything
to it. I only send photos etc using WhatsApp.
Nothing in Messages would be so important to be.

I keep both iMessage and SMS enabled. The iPhone tries to keep it in iMessage but if it’s not being sent to an iPhone, it automatically switches to SMS. I have unlimited texting but if I text to another country, I believe I get charged a fee. If the message is through iMessage, I don’t get the fee for out of country, I believe.

Here is a screenshot of how I have my messages setup. Note that when sending as an SMS carrier charges may apply as said.
IMG_0657.jpg

That is how mine looks as well. As I said, if the text doesn’t stay in iMessage, it goes to SMS. If it is sent to someone in a foreign country, I get charged. Last year, a friend was texting me from Great Britain but it I cured no fee because it stayed in iMessage.

It's interesting to see that nobody uses WhatsApp
to send messages. Is there any special special reason for this. After all they are encrypted from end to end. It's a popular method here in Germany. And free with or photos.
Thanks BB

I use Whatsapp mainly for group chats where I can silence the notification sound. Great for group chatting and media exchange, but I stick to messages and SMS for one on one text convos.