What's new

SHSH Blobs - Frequently Asked Questions

Sooo much information! Thanks to this site and and willerz2 and his Redsn0w "Click this, click that" step by step boot post, (which are impossible to find anywhere else on the web), I learned the jailbreak boot process on my 3gs, since the guy I bought it from Installed 6.1.3, and I just could NOT figure it out. However, now I'd like to learn how to get 5.1.x on it using blobs and APTicket so I'm not tethered-boot anymore. But as I have learned the hard way, Redsn0w isn't exactly self-explanatory to use. (hence the reason for needing step by step mentioned above). So does a "tutorial" like this exist? I can see which blobs I have, but how do I use them? The series of button clicks has me confused. And what about APTicket? I need that too right?

Last edited:
Sooo much information! Thanks to this site and and willerz2 and his Redsn0w "Click this, click that" step by step boot post, (which are impossible to find anywhere else on the web), I learned the jailbreak boot process on my 3gs, since the guy I bought it from Installed 6.1.3, and I just could NOT figure it out. However, now I'd like to learn how to get 5.1.x on it using blobs and APTicket so I'm not tethered-boot anymore. But as I have learned the hard way, Redsn0w isn't exactly self-explanatory to use. (hence the reason for needing step by step mentioned above). So does a "tutorial" like this exist? I can see which blobs I have, but how do I use them? The series of button clicks has me confused. And what about APTicket? I need that too right?

APTickets are basically "binded" with your blobs if you can call it that. They're both the same files, just different portions of it, like partitions in a hard drive. It's still a single physical hard drive, but you've split it into different partitions, so if you save your blobs, you'll save your APTickets as well.

The one thing about using RedSn0w for blobs is that it doesn't check for APTickets, it only checks for blobs unless you manually saved the blob yourself with either your device plugged in, or the ECID entered. TinyUmbrella is slightly easier to use since you don't need to select an IPSW whereas it's required when using RedSn0w.

I have a question about saving blobs. I have never JB my phone, its an IP5 running 6.1.4. I know there isn't a JB for that firmware but I thought I would save the SHSH at least as a learning tool. I followed the tutorial and everything seems to work but no saved SHSHs appear in the list. The log says apple is no longer signing 6.1 SHSH requests anymore. Is that what I should be seeing? I'm a little fuzzy on that point. i thought the SHSH was on the device in the event I needed to do a restore or something.

If you want to save them from Apple directly, when using TinyUmbrella, untick "Request from Cydia" under the Advanced tab

If you want to save them from Apple directly, when using TinyUmbrella, untick "Request from Cydia" under the Advanced tab
I have that unchecked and still no SHSHs saved. Here is what the log looks like and the list. Is that correct or should I be seeing something as saved?
$TU Log.jpg$SHSHs.jpg

The only blobs that you should be able to see is iOS 6.1.4 for the iPhone 5.

That's what I thought. I must be ding something wrong because I'm not getting any blobs saved. It acts like its working though. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks.

That was the problem. Thanks for the help.

Glad we got that sorted out. Periodically check for TinyUmbrella updates. Generally I'd check for updates every 2-3 weeks or when there's a new iOS about to be released (expect to see a few more TinyUmbrella updates within the next 2 weeks for iOS 7 support and to smooth out a few bugs and such)

Got the latest version of Tinyumbrella and tried to
save SHSH for iOS 7.0.2 on iPhone 5s with no luck. Will we have to wait for an update to TU ?
Did I miss something ? Any info help thanks.

Unfortunately the iPhone 5S does not use SHSH blobs. It solely uses APTickets. The reason why iOS 5 and 6 were downgradeable or selectively restorable was because both SHSH blobs and APTickets were present, meaning in some cases, even if you had fragmented blobs (SHSH blobs only, APTickets not available), you could still selectively restore in some cases. With the 5S being the first of many devices possibly, SHSH blobs have been abolished and APTickets remain, and APTickets alone cannot be used to selectively restore, meaning for 5S users when a potential jailbreak comes out, re-restoring will prove to be difficult if the older methods of ILEX RAT and Semi-restore are patched or no longer available.

Unfortunately the iPhone 5S does not use SHSH blobs. It solely uses APTickets. The reason why iOS 5 and 6 were downgradeable or selectively restorable was because both SHSH blobs and APTickets were present, meaning in some cases, even if you had fragmented blobs (SHSH blobs only, APTickets not available), you could still selectively restore in some cases. With the 5S being the first of many devices possibly, SHSH blobs have been abolished and APTickets remain, and APTickets alone cannot be used to selectively restore, meaning for 5S users when a potential jailbreak comes out, re-restoring will prove to be difficult if the older methods of ILEX RAT and Semi-restore are patched or no longer available.

I feel a little sick at digesting what you have take time to explain to me but hope springs eternal and I am confident that the jailbreak community Gods will find a way to provide an untethered
Jailbreak for the new iPhone 5s with iOS 7.0.2.
I expect the release will take considerable time.
I love the speed of the 5s but miss my JB. I
will have my wife use the 5s and return to the
5 that has not been upgraded and still sports an untethered jailbreak while I wait however long for a public release of a JB for the 5s.
Any news on this would be very very welcome as ever time I read news on the topic in the end it
remains waiting like what seems forever. I know
I am not along with this world wide.
Where is the magic bullet we need desperately ?
Godspeed to the Jailbreak Gods. Amen !