What's new

Show my current location on a map and update my location as I move

jmt356

Reaction score
Is there a GPS app that can show me my current location on a map and update my location as I move?
I tried this with the Maps program, and while I was once able to get it to show me location on the map, the other time, it just showed me as a blue dot on a grid with no streets or other information. Is that how it is supposed to work? Was the issue my internet connection?

Is there a GPS app that can show me my current location on a map and update my location as I move?
I tried this with the Maps program, and while I was once able to get it to show me location on the map, the other time, it just showed me as a blue dot on a grid with no streets or other information. Is that how it is supposed to work? Was the issue my internet connection?
If you're using the Apple Maps app and have an active internet connection, you should see your current position on the map, which will change as you move around. If you have an iPhone or a WiFi + cellular ipad, it should work even if you have no WiFi or cellular data connection as iPhones and WiFi + cellular iPads have a built in GPS chip. The maps can be cached for offline use by opening the maps app for the area required while you have an Internet connection. Without an Internet connection you won't be able to cache the map for offline use.

This may also help. How well does GPS work for offline maps on the ... Apple Support Communities

Last edited: