What's new

Sharing Phone Connection--Did I Do Something Wrong?

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
My next door neighbour came over a few minutes ago and asked if she could share my WiFi connection on her phone because her connection was not working for whatever reason. Anyway, I accessed my WiFi connection on her phone and put in my password, and it connected for her. I told her to please disconnect once she was done. My question is did I do something I should not have done? I did not want to be churlish and say "no, you cannot share the connection." It is the first time she has ever asked me anyway, so I concluded she must really need it.

Please tell me what I should do to make sure she is disconnected by tomorrow. Tell me anything else I should know, too. I can turn off my WiFi from my computer at anytime and turn it on again. If I do that and have not given her the password, will she be disconnected and not be able to reconnect again?

Thanks.

Change your WiFi password and after that turn the WiFi from your computer off and on, the neighbours computer will no longer be able to connect as the password has been changed.

Is that necessary since she does not know the password? I put it in for her and connected her phone. She has no idea what is the password unless she can somehow access it now.

Thanks.

If she had her WiFi set to automatically connect to previously used WiFi sources, it would connect to your WiFi whenever her phone was near enough to your WiFi router. Even if she doesn’t know your WiFi password, her phone does.

Oh, I did not know this. Thanks.

It is not that I mind so much that she uses it. It is more that I worry she could somehow run up charges on my account or cause some other problems for me.

Oh, I did not know this. Thanks.

It is not that I mind so much that she uses it. It is more that I worry she could somehow run up charges on my account or cause some other problems for me.
That depends on if your internet connection has data limits. If so, she could possibly run over those limits while using your WiFi connection.

Yes, I believe it does have data limits. I have never surpassed the limit, so I am sure what is the limit.

Thanks, scifan57.