What's new

Settings help

browneyedgirl

Reaction score
I made some changes to my iphone 5 to save battery life. I actually made it worse. I charged it last night, it was 100%, now this morning it is at 72% without any use. My battery life was pretty decent before I made those changes. I should not have messed with it especially since I am not tech person. Most of the changes I made were in the notification center and to email. Any advice for what I should check? Something is draining the battery, I just don't know what to check. Too bad there is not a restore button. Thanks.

I made some changes to my iphone 5 to save battery life. I actually made it worse. I charged it last night, it was 100%, now this morning it is at 72% without any use. My battery life was pretty decent before I made those changes. I should not have messed with it especially since I am not tech person. Most of the changes I made were in the notification center and to email. Any advice for what I should check? Something is draining the battery, I just don't know what to check. Too bad there is not a restore button. Thanks.
There is a way to restore all settings to their default setting. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. If you do this, you will not lose any data and all settings will be what they were before you modified them.

Thank you. I tried that. I may have to take it back to the Verizon store & have it checked. I just bought the phone this past September. I am pretty sure I have something running in the background, I just can't figure out what it would be. It is at 52% now & I barely used it. Once I get this solved, I will not be messing with the phone again, that's for sure. I do love the iphone. I just need to learn more about the settings.

I still am going to have a tech person at the Verizon store check my phone. Battery life is a bit better now. One more question. If you had 100% at 11 p.m. & it was at 98% at 5:30 a.m., with no use, would you be okay with that? Maybe I am expecting too much or worrying too much.

I still am going to have a tech person at the Verizon store check my phone. Battery life is a bit better now. One more question. If you had 100% at 11 p.m. & it was at 98% at 5:30 a.m., with no use, would you be okay with that? Maybe I am expecting too much or worrying too much.
That sounds normal to me. It will vary. There's times I go to bed with 100% and wake with 100%. Other times I wake with 98%. I don't power off at night, and I use the Do Not Disturb feature.

Thanks. I don't use Do Not Disturb. Not wanting to show how little I know, I will just say. I don't think I power off. I just have the auto-lock set to 2 minutes. See I have been trying to read & learn more about the iphone5. I am not sure of all the terminology. I thought to power off you needed to use the off button on top of the phone to shut it off. Am I just letting my phone be in a sleep mode or on stand-by with what I am doing?

Thanks to scifan57 I was able reset my phone. From reading threads on the forum I tweaked some settings and the phone is working fine now. I also was able to connect to my home wi-fi. Spending time reading through some of the threads has really helped this newbie. I am really enjoying this phone.

Thanks to scifan57 I was able reset my phone. From reading threads on the forum I tweaked some settings and the phone is working fine now. I also was able to connect to my home wi-fi. Spending time reading through some of the threads has really helped this newbie. I am really enjoying this phone.
I'm glad our efforts were helpful, thanks for letting us know, it may help the next person with a similar problem.

These forums are great!!!
I am loving my 5s - my first Apple product, but won't be my last.

I got the book "iPhone, the Missing Manual" on Amazon and it is very helpful.
cb

Thanks abredt, I will get that manual. I really am enjoying my iphone. This forum has helped me so much. The more knowledge I obtain, the less I am afraid of the phone.

Some power is needed even if your iPhone is on standby, that's true.
Besides, when you no longer need wifi, bluetooth, GPS, do remember to turn them off. They'll need some juice as well.
Also, a good charging habit (i.e. doing a full charge cycle, from 1% to 100% once in a while helps to extend battery life, but doing it all the time will actually do more harm than good).
You can also check your PM and see if that helps you. Hope you enjoy your iPhone experience:)

What will help you and your IPHone battery is if you can do the following:
(1) On the front bottom side of your phone is a button.
(2) Double tap that button.
(3) You will now see a list of running apps.
(4) One by one, take your finger starting with the second app from your left and "slide" the apps upwards (you will see them disappear).
(5) When done, double tap your button again and that will take you back to your main screen.

Note: If you go to bed at night with a fully charged battery, by morning it might be around 98%...It's also a good idea to run your battery down...I have at times, run mine down as low as 30%...On a few occassions, I've run it down to 18% (which is around the area, your battery will show red). Best to you.

Thanx to everyone for the input given. I'm not having any problems with my battery but I would want to put preventative measures for those long days away from home that I don't get frustrated should my battery die before I get home. To mister green, your description is detailed enough except I can't locate the button on the "bottom side". I own an iPhone 5s, first apple product. And I only have the buttonS to adjust volume and that thing that allows me to put my phone on silent. Those are the only buttons on my sides, top left side. Either than power/ lock button at the very top. Please assist.