What's new

Searching Bookmarks

Michael Graubart

Reaction score
Is there a search facility for finding a particular bookmark on iPhone 3G — other than just going through all of one's stored bookmarks?

Thanks in anticipation...

Bookmarks can be placed in folders. Also spotlight searc might help you.

Thanks, bear7962. My bookmarks (except for some as yet unfiled ones) are in a tree structure of folders and, sometimes, folders within folders. That is precisely why a search facility on the phone — like there is on the Mac — would be useful.

I have not discovered a version of Spotlight for an iPhone; in particular for iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2.1 like mine.

Go to Settings, General, Home Button, Spotlight Search and make sure it is turned on. When that update came out it had a bug that slowed the phone and that was the temporary fix. Perhaps it needs to be re-enabled.
To use Spotlight, swipe down on your home screen to reveal the search field.
That's a 7+year old phone that has been long not supported and an at least 5+ year old IOS. The improvements just aren't there for you.

Thanks again, bear7962. I realize that my phone is way out of date, and it was a forlorn hope to ask about a bookmarks search facility. In fact I have got 'Search' checked in Settings, and under 'Spotlight Search' I have got everything available checked. If I swipe right (not down in my case) I can search Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Music, etc., but not my bookmarks. Never mind! It was worth a try.